Bubinga Mini Lp-ish

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest,I am trying to get it to represent this particular guitar...I can take the same goat(which seems to suit me,being Aries and all) and make it fit the guitar I put it on...so I think it was a great idea to use the goat...goats are very versatile :D

But this is my first foray into inlaying or logos or any of that stuff,so as you can imagine subtleties are eluding me...almost finished with it though...and I am dissolving an old batch of amber shellac flakes I had stored away...should be enough to do this one and I'll save the blonder color for something else.

'your goat looks like a cow!'

To be honest,if it had turned out not "goatish" enough,I was prepared to name it "The Bearded Cow"

"Bearded Cow Guitars"...not bad... B)

Not too baa-aa-aad. ........

Really????Someone had to say it I guess :D :D

yeah, I couldn't resist, plus it fit. B)

bearded cow.

Thats funny right there.

Okay,so today was unexpectedly warm..it was above 70 so I set up to finish.I set the conex up

l_7fcb77f17c8a47a1ac0d7070ef4feb69.jpg

And the inside temp was perfect

l_5a04a463648b43adb1b182f5acc0d4d5.jpg

So I started spraying...and the cold front hit right then.temperature dropped to 58 within 30 minutes and it was raining buckets so I could not get the thing inside...I ended up having to cover it in a trash bag to get it in..but not before it had developed several runs and sags...luckily once I got inside it started to properly cure,so I am going to let it sit until tomorrow evening before I sand the runs out...these were amber tinted coats so it really hit the final shade I was after.

l_71cd33a0195d488db5f2a081fa09a4e2.jpg

l_d004b6363017418ca87dccfc61a5b79c.jpg

So I'll get it all level sanded,then wait for warmer weather again and get the final clear on it.

So I started spraying...and the cold front hit right then.temperature dropped to 58 within 30 minutes and it was raining buckets so I could not get the thing inside...I ended up having to cover it in a trash bag to get it in..but not before it had developed several runs and sags...

dude that sucks.

Okay,so the 81 TWX and the 89 TW came in today...I just have to say "wow".

The packaging is great,but the coolest thing is all of the solderless connections and the new solderless "buss"..

Only thing though is that I don't know if I can rout all of the connections through one volume and one tone.I know I can get it through two volumes and no tones...

Looking great Wes, did you mentioned what clear you were using? I looked and could not find it. I'm making a list of parts got me a cheap Dean baby Z online that I got here with me that will get a decent body as soon as I get back. And 36hr cure time sounds great if I don't have to play with 2K stuff. How thin it applies? Same lie nitro? Or more like 2K. :D:D

I am still using the Sherwinn williams sher-wood water white conversion varnish...one part varnish to 3 % catalyst thinned 15% with xylene..it sprays just like nitro and it feels just like nitro,but it is not yellow and it will never yellow or crack.

I spray it in coats about 1/4 mm thick I think...I wait about 10 minutes and do it again,and then about 10 minutes later I do it one last time,but a hair thicker...and that is one session...I let it cure for an hour,then I level sand to 220 and let is sit until the next day,when I do it all over again...and that is it...

usually I use between 200 and 300 cc of clear total...on this one I used 100cc amber tinted and 200 cc just clear.It sounds like alot,but after leveling and curing completely I would be surprised if the finish were more than 1.5mm

My exploder was much thicker...I used 600cc of various toner coats(all the same clear,but different tints)and topped it with another 200 cc of just clear...the guitar was much larger,but my finish is still about 2 mm thick all over...and it sounds great.The tone of the wood just shines right through,again much like nitro...

I will likely use this stuff for life or until they stop making it...

And to be clear.you can pick the guitar up and carry it inside with your hands after only 30 minutes...it is dry to the touch within 15 minutes...hard enough to sand in one hour,and very hard after 24 hours..

Once it completely cures(I mean completely...about 3 days I think?) it is super hard...very hard to scratch,and very hard to sand...so do your sanding after one hour...

But even though it is not as caustic as 2k,it is still by no means good for you...wear a mask..if you don't you will have headaches for days.