7 String First Build Sassafras

CD1221

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the photos. They don't do it full justice, you don't get to see how holographic and mobile the grain movement is.

Firstly, here is the dust free drying/curing space I created, Dexter-style. Who said you never learn anything from TV.

01052011079.jpg

And here are the guitar parts:

01052011087.jpg

01052011086.jpg

01052011089.jpg.

01052011088.jpg

01052011085.jpg

The neck in particular blows my mind every time I look at it.

• 3 weeks later...

6 months in the making, it is finally done!

Pics:

before:

04122010006.jpg

after:

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

I need to thank my dad for providing many, many tools, advice and assistance during the build. I also must thank one of my mates, who helped out with the important and terrifying stuff - fretboard and fretwork.

The authors of the many, many awesome and inspirational build threads on here also get a mention for both their education and entertainment. This site is bloody amazing. I wouldn't have this beast without having access to the info here.

There were plenty of minor mistakes and some downright horrible stuff ups, but nothing that couldn't be saved. Thanks to those that followed the build thread and gave your encouragement.

I am blown away by this thing. It is light, balances perfectly, is damn comfortable to play and is as clear as a bell, even on the low Bb. I haven't played anything this low and had it so clear. The MM is bloody brilliant. The seymour in the neck is also fantastic, highly recommended.

Now I have to go and learn how to play again :D

I really like what you've done here..the build quality is outstanding.I think my favorite part is the recess you made for the jack.Everything flows very well,and that is hard to achieve.

I Dont care what people say, it does help your tone

No question that thick necks do provide a tone more representative of the neck wood used..more lively or whatever..but the way I play makes thick necks too awkward.(Standing up,guitar low(not stupidly low like Slash or Hetfield though)with my thumb resting against the middle part of the back of the neck)

The first few necks I made were too thick for me

• 8 months later...

that neck looks CHUNKY !!!!!!!!

cool. love big animal chunky necks. I Dont care what people say, it does help your tone

I couldn't agree more. Making necks thin for the sake of it is the wrong approach. Have you seen how thick the neck is on Brian May's Red Special for instance? Massive. Look at all of the "custom" contours (purely for reference of course) on the Warmoth site. All highly-regarded vintage guitars had significantly thicker neck profiles than modern thin-flats. Fast modern thin-flat jelly necks do sacrifice a surprising amount unless something is done to make them less prone to wobble and sponginess.