Greven Guitars -

Not sure if you're familiar with this technique or not yet... I just found it today and though I'd share...

I hope the owner of this site doesn't mind being linked to because this is cool as heck as far as I'm concerned.....

http://www.grevenguitars.com/GrevenGuitars.html

Guess its a Martin thing from many, many moons ago. Click on the "Extras" tab to see a detailed tutorial on doing them yerself.

Interesting reading on the site also includes the tidbit about spanish Cedar being used for guitar necks. I thought cedar would be too soft for a stable neck.

Learnin' every day....... :D:D

John Greven is an amazing guitar builder, he came to teach us how to carve the heel on an acoustic neck and how to add his signature flower carvings when I was learning how to build guitars in Red Wing.

Its a traditional spanish guitar V joint technique...

v.joint.torres.jpg

n12.jpg

OR they can also look like the way Greven does it...

188714.jpg

Cedar has been used for centuries as a neck material on classical guitars. Its very stable and extremely light.

Here is a video about the first technique like on the first two pictures I posted:

Interesting reading on the site also includes the tidbit about spanish Cedar being used for guitar necks. I thought cedar would be too soft for a stable neck.

Nope. Spanish cedar is realy cool. makes a nice neck & a realy good sounding guitar overall. I use it for Les paul type builds with maple, beech or birch tops.

Learnin' every day....... :DB)

Nope. Spanish cedar is realy cool. makes a nice neck & a realy good sounding guitar overall. I use it for Les paul type builds with maple, beech or birch tops.

B):D

Learnin' every day....... :DB)

B):D

Do a bit of reading on 'cedar', and you'll note there are a lot of mostly unrelated woods that go by that name, with vasty different properties, most of which aren't actually true cedars at all. The most common in guitarmaking are, by far, Western Red Cedar (Thuya Plicata, not a cedar, softwood, fairly stiff, fairly fragile, good for acoustic guitar tops, fine for electric bodies if you don't mind fragility/feel like capping it), Spanish Cedar (Cedrella Odorata, not a cedar, in the meliciae family like mahogany, used in humidors, traditional neck for classical guitars. Fine grain, bit less stiff/strong than mahogany, overall similar working properties, lightweight), and occasionally Port Orford Cedar (Also not a cedar, more of a cypress, some acoustic guitar builders use it).

'True' cedars (genus Cedrus) include Cedar of Lebanon/Atlas Cedar. Pretty much any wood with a characteristic smell seems to get slapped with the cedar label.

Wes, that's actually eastern red cedar you have in Texas, and maybe some western juniper, which is closely related.

We have lots of it in Tennessee, and it can get fairly large, but most of it is small scraggly stuff.

But ya, Spanish cedar is nothing like any of the other woods we call "cedar"

Never been a fan of this headstock joint.

I admire the skill it takes to make it correctly, but it seems overly complicated, with no real advantage over simpler methods.

Not sure if you're familiar with this technique or not yet... I just found it today and though I'd share...

I hope the owner of this site doesn't mind being linked to because this is cool as heck as far as I'm concerned.....

http://www.grevenguitars.com/GrevenGuitars.html

Guess its a Martin thing from many, many moons ago. Click on the "Extras" tab to see a detailed tutorial on doing them yerself.

I love it. Very nice.