Help Me With This Varnish

jcbakz

I had no luck finding oil for finishing the guitar in our little city.

the salesman told me to use this clear gloss varnish instead, its Super Valspar.

I did not know anything about it. so I bought 1/4 liter and went to my luthier.

the luthier said this is one hell of a varnish, its strong and could last even when it rains or shines lol.

but it can take weeks or months for this to dry :D

he sprayed 2 coats, let it dry for 2 weeks and is still a bit wet.

so I took the sprayed body home and let it dry inside a container

user14001_pic1532_1239180189.jpg

(under the heat of the sun, yeah were my dad keeps his tools)

the body has been there for a week now and its still a bit wet (shits, I could not wait months for this B) )

my question is, this type of varnish, can this be dried under the sun to make things dry fast?

if not tell me other options to make this dry fast.

here is an info on the valspar:

"SUPER VALSPAR GLOSS VARNISH,

the varnish that will not turn white that even boiling water will not harm.

composed of 50% soya ester gum alkyd resin and 50% petroleum thinner.

easy to use on all interior and exterior surfaces." :D

Edited by jcbakz

If he did a good job that looks great and you're happy with, then there's not much to do except be patient.

Varnish is Tough as All Hell as a finish, and if you scratch or dent it before it fully hardens, touch-ups are extremely tough.

You're best bet is to stop trying to rush it and just let it do it's thing, until it's DONE.

All the Way Done.

If you push it and ruin it, you will have set yourself back further than you ever care to know.

When I finish a guitar and the last coat goes on, I typically wait a minimum of a month, sometimes more, to allow the finish to dry, harden, and settle in.

Why spend all that time to build a guitar and stab yourself in the back right as it's almost finished?

It's not worth it, lack of patience is something that can do nothing but work against all of your best efforts.

You might use some heat lamps, but you can ruin it if you're not extremely careful.

I wouldn't, ...but you asked for options.

If he did a good job that looks great and you're happy with, then there's not much to do except be patient.

Varnish is Tough as All Hell as a finish, and if you scratch or dent it before it fully hardens, touch-ups are extremely tough.

You're best bet is to stop trying to rush it and just let it do it's thing, until it's DONE.

All the Way Done.

If you push it and ruin it, you will have set yourself back further than you ever care to know.

When I finish a guitar and the last coat goes on, I typically wait a minimum of a month, sometimes more, to allow the finish to dry, harden, and settle in.

Why spend all that time to build a guitar and stab yourself in the back right as it's almost finished?

It's not worth it, lack of patience is something that can do nothing but work against all of your best efforts.

You might use some heat lamps, but you can ruin it if you're not extremely careful.

I wouldn't, ...but you asked for options.

+1

I usually use this rule of thumb on lacquer. 1 week of dry time for every coat of lacquer. That includes seal coats, base color, toner coats and all clear coats. So many times I may wait for Months before it ever sees the buffing wheel.

:D

MK

well, guess what.

iv found a nice place where to dry the body and its behind the fridge i think its called a heat sink.

its a bit warm but not a hot just the right temp to dry clothes. its where our maid places some of my underwear to dry lol...

the body has been there for 5 days now. i let each side dry every half a day then switch to the other side.

pls excuse that blue underwear :D

Image207.jpg

Edited by jcbakz