New Build (Prs Copy)

Got a mahogany slab in for free, was an errant ship, seller didnt even want me to pay!

So I thought I would do a full mahogany bodied PRS copy. I did have minor chipout on the back trem section because I stupidly drilled from the top instead of trying to meet my top drill halfway through the bottom. Decided to fix it with some titebond II and dust I got from the slab, after sanding it out I hope it will blend in pretty well.

Anyway, I did all this today, hope you enjoy!

Front-1.jpg

Back-1.jpg

Chipout.jpg

Chipoutfix.jpg

That is a nice piece of ribbon grain mahogany..I mean really nice...

Lookin' good..something to think about..even a little bit of color will help hide whatever part of that chip out sticks past your trem cover...and a translucent amber looks awesome on ribbon grain mahogany.It won't hide it all,but it may help the colors blend in.

Les_Paul_Standard_Flametop_Edition_Trans_Amber_4.jpg

Yeah, I put my templates over it and it should be routed out for the covers, so it's now a non issue.

And thanks on that wood, I got it for like 30$! But then I had to go get it planed at the local cabinet shop, who seem to be able to plane all my warped wood flat, and all my flat wood they seem to put a bow in. Not sure how they do it.

Anyway, the supplier I got that certain piece from was this guy from this auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300494988089&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1273wt_1140

Another good supplier of mine that has some nice ribbon mahogany are these people too

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200354446515&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Yeah, I put my templates over it and it should be routed out for the covers, so it's now a non issue.

And thanks on that wood, I got it for like 30$! But then I had to go get it planed at the local cabinet shop, who seem to be able to plane all my warped wood flat, and all my flat wood they seem to put a bow in. Not sure how they do it.

Anyway, the supplier I got that certain piece from was this guy from this auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300494988089&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1273wt_1140

Another good supplier of mine that has some nice ribbon mahogany are these people too

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200354446515&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Oh... I thought you said :

Got a mahogany slab in for free, was an errant ship, seller didnt even want me to pay!

So I thought I would do a full mahogany bodied PRS copy. ........

Still a nice body blank. :D

I carved the top today and routed for the cavity covers in the back, I didn't get the knob recesses right, never tried em before, I was able to make them look alright though, it's the first time I've ever carved a top, did I do bad or good? I need some honest opinions. I wet the grain down to show how it will look finished.

DSC02552.jpg

DSC02553.jpg

DSC02559.jpg

DSC02562.jpg

DSC02563.jpg

DSC02566.jpg

topwetdown.jpg

topcarve.jpg

Thanks! I spent about an hour and a half on that top, I just used my router and stepped it up like you see in the first pic, then I got my DA sander and some 60 grit to blend it all, then went over it with 80, then 150.

I am going to leave it natural. It looks good as is, so I'm not gonna try to color it.

Made the neck today. Had a little mishap routing the truss rod channel because my straight edge slipped, but it was nothing major that requires any concern. I did get the neck in there and wanted to try to use my tabletop belt sander instead of using a straight edge and a template bit to get my taper right, well, expirement tried, and although it worked, it wittled my nut size from what I wanted at 1 3/4 to 1 9/16". Again, no biggie. I am having problems with the look of the joint now as one side is dead flush, and the other has a very small gap, I discovered I had a tiny tiny tearout right there. I filled it in with some titebond and mahogany dust from that body, and after I rout the tenon depth for the neck and get that on there I will file it down flat and flush. it is currently a very tight joint though and I can hold the guitar up from the neck.

Here are some pics, prolly wont be anymore until I get the fretboard and bridge in so I can finalize the neck.

DSC02589.jpg

DSC02590.jpg

DSC02592.jpg

DSC02594.jpg

DSC02595.jpg

DSC02596.jpg

Had a new problem today, I was trying to get the neck pocket routed to depth and then fitting the heel in there, well, it was so tight I was tapping it in with a hammer, and done it over and over again. Well, I was tapping it in and all of a sudden the joint got a little more loose.

You might have guessed it, neck pocket cracked. Nothing too terrible. So I seperated the wood and let some glue seep in there and clamped it for 30 min, then sanded it and decided to go ahead and glue the neck in there without the fretboard installed. I glued it with titebond instead of hide glue, because titebond has seeping properties to it. I figured it would be good to have the neck pocket crack fully dry and have the neck in there to dry with it, that way hopefully the titebond seeps in there and there are less expansion/shrinking worries in that joint in the future.

Don't know how you guys would have handed it, but that's what I chose.

Here is a crack that occured in the neck pocket when i was tapping in the neck. I did do a pretty seamless repair on it and it was only a hairline crack anyway. I may just get the fretboard and bridge on there and sell the guitar as a finish upper on e-bay. I have a new telecaster I am building and want to focus on that.

DSC02601.jpg

This project doesnt appear that it will be finished. I was building it for my father in law, however he was recently diagnosed with end stage liver disease, and took a turn for the worse after the diagnosis was made. He probably has a week left to live. So this will say as it is. I want it to be how it was the last time he ever seen it. That way he always has something to look forward to.

Well, I did manage to get something done for him. He had a Gibson Les Paul Recording Bass for years. He was cremated, so I made a stand to hold his urn and remains for the funeral. I started 2 days ago from scratch, and 1 day of that included gluing the boards together. I got his urn, recessed it into the body, and made a stand out of claro walnut. Top is some flame maple I was saving for a 59 les paul copy, and the back is african mahogany.

I put the poly finish on it today and am letting it sit in the sun and let if dry. I am getting the typical bubbles of a poly finish, so I will have to rub it out with steel wool tomorrow.

DSC02665.jpg

DSC02664.jpg