Tineo Single Cut Short Scale

Scarfed the neck,planed it all to a square blank,and traced out the taper.This blank had enough length to sketch out all the way to the bridge,so that is what I did.Marked out the bridge position,then measured the bridge for the string spacing and added 1/8" on each side,then drew the taper the entire direction(1 5/8" nut width)

l_8080a7cf641743b0ac309338491b6399.jpg

Then I cut the fretboard to length,laid it on top,and marked out where I will cut to make the end of the neck.

l_f931f1cdb0fd4325873068edbb7eeca9.jpg

I ordered some black dyed 1/16" veneer for accents on some of these up and coming instruments,and when it comes in it will become a part of this neck.

This neck is going to be 2 1/8" wide at the 24th fret.The idea is to make this instrument as compact as possible.I am considering shrinking the nut width too,since I am making my own nut this time.I was considering 1 9/16" nut,since the neck is already 1/16" more narrow at the other end than what I usually do.

I just feel like when I am picking that with wider string spacing I tend to chop at it more,but on more narrow string spacings it just flows better.

Maybe it has something to do with the 1 mm picks I use..I just feel like I don't need so much room.

As far as fretting goes,I just don't need that much room.I suspect(since my hands are not small)that most guitars are made to fit the "finger width challenged" members of the overfed masses...

My hand in front of my single cut

l_6f416d133bb2442aaaa3f450208def36.jpg

Chording on a 1 5/8" nut

l_9cff8186350146a9a14963d70f4b1131.jpg

So if I,a guy with "normal" hands,like a smaller string spacing and smaller guitars,it makes me wonder how many out there also find large guitars and wide necks with long scales to be ungainly?

My fingers are considerably shorter than yours...there's a shot of you playing at a fairly young age around somewhere and my first thought was damn you've got long fingers. I built my guitar with a 1 5/8" nut because that was what my neck plans called for. I found it difficult to avoid muting strings when chording. I got better as I learned....but after playing an LP I still find it easier with a wider spacing. The trade off is it's tougher to get a pinky on the low E. I figure that is more due to my inexperience, which is why I asked a more experienced player...namely you. I certainly agree that it's easier to play the shorter scale over the 25.5". Thanks for the input.

SR

Its not always a matter of long fingers - mine are long as heck too, but they are thick so I make all my necks wider than normal. Thats why I started making my own nuts - finding them in "my" width wasn't easy.....

I can play an Am chord with two fingers on a regular strat or LP, and always mute out the G string on an open C .

Spreading the width out leaves me with enough room to get my digits in there.

Probably a good thing I switched to bass recently.....

Its not always a matter of long fingers - mine are long as heck too, but they are thick so I make all my necks wider than normal. Thats why I started making my own nuts - finding them in "my" width wasn't easy.....

I can play an Am chord with two fingers on a regular strat or LP, and always mute out the G string on an open C .

Spreading the width out leaves me with enough room to get my digits in there.

Probably a good thing I switched to bass recently.....

My fingers aren't particularly long, and not especially thick, but I find it uncomfortable to play a narrow neck, i.e., a 42mm or 43mm (1 9/16" - 1 5/8") nut width. That is the main reason I got into building my own guitars (and then for other people). I wanted a wider neck, which couldn't be bought over the counter, so I made myself a guitar with a 46mm (1 13/16") nut, and later, 48mm (1 7/8"). These I find extremely comfortable to play, and most of my customers over the years have preferred these sizes. I also prefer shorter scale guitars.

Of course, at the moment, I can't play any size neck, or build anything, as the wrist op I had in November didn't go according to plan, and I can't rotate my forearm at all now. I may need more surgery in the near future to correct this problem :D

Let's hope you can live up to that name "Mender" Good luck. A big fear of mine. Great build. My brother was in town and played my 1st guitar and it was too wide and thick for him. I love it and actually feel my hand gets less tired when I have more to grab on to. Just personal preference I suppose. That is the beauty of a "custom built" anything. I love these detailed discussion on the minutia, after all, it's all minutia.

I really don't know why I feel more comfortable with smaller spacings while others with smaller hands don't..I just always feel like I have plenty of room between the strings.More than I need for sure.

Smaller scale is more because I like to reach all 24 frets,but I don't like the nut to be very far away from my body.But the scale really doesn't make much difference between the frets,only over the entire fretboard does it add up noticeably for me

My fingers are long,but thin

l_700d94bc9acf4e30bf987302a2ee0700.jpg

l_e07930ff834340229d3f851d27ef8e42.jpg

Yes my cuticles are shredded..i work with my hands for a living :D

My "truss rod router jig"

l_8913f4627e8e4087b46a24cacd85c7ea.jpg

i have fairly long skinny fingers especialy skinny considering my size. and i prefer a larger neck period i like a chunkier neck for pure comfort, but i liek the wider string spacing because im not the best player and i mute strings but the better i get the less i do that.

Well,in metal (because of the super high gain) you have to mute the strings you aren't playing while you are playing the notes you want,so I lean my leftover fingers against the ones I want to mute,and if I am using all of my fingers I lean my index finger over them while pressing the ones I want.I am guessing everyone who plays metal does the same thing...

But I have no problem clearing the strings I need to clear while muting the ones I need to mute..If for some reason my fretting hand can't do it my palm takes over automatically

Yeah,faceplate is on this one..just a plain black plate because I thought it would look nicer than the plain maple to put my goat on.

Tineo...well,it is easy to work..doesn't splinter or tear out and it sands easy..I have no idea how it will sound,though it has a dark tap tone.I can't say that it's worth searching out,I just happened across it.

This one is just going to be clear..I don't think I am even going to seal it with CA..I doubt it needs it since the grain is very non-porous.No tints of any type..I think it looks nice as is because of the light colors of the woods.

• 1 year later...