#3 Is A Single Cut

ScottR

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought some of that T88 epoxy too,got it in last weekend and I am using it right now for the first time on...a faceplate. :D

Are you following me? :D

The epoxy has an interesting consistency...I think I like it,it seems "thready" or something.

That's funny!

I like the way it turns white really quick when you mix it and the long open time. I found it to be thicker than any other and very sticky. When I glued it up yesterday it was still tacky after an hour, but well on the way to turning back to clear. Today it's very clear and very hard. The light wasn't good enough to tell if it had much of an amber tint though.

SR

Maybe I am you in an alternate Universe,and this "forum" is a wormhole to alternate dimensions...

Or maybe we are ALL alternate versions of the same being in many different dimensions,and this wormhole allows us all to speak to each other..

Your baking my noodle man...! :D

Or maybe it is just epoxy.

I was prouder of you when you did it all by hand.

THIS...jointer business...is just lazy. B)

:D:D

I'll remember that when you want to use it on your lap steel build. B)

Jarvey, yeah there really is some very nice original work around here. I'm glad you like this design.

SR

It's funny when I was building my 1st guitar I didn't want to look at any other designs and I am glad I did it that way. I discovered what I like in design. Now I want to see what everyone is doing. I plan on stealing all the good ideas here! I heard once that great musicians are great thieves. I just really like the lines you use. I have my eye on you for sure.

This weekend I had a charity event on Saturday...that I bombed out of in time to get to work on this at about 4:30 in the afternoon. I routed the truss rod channel and set that and made some pin sets to locate the fretboard and hold it during glue up. I mixed up some T-88 epoxy and glued up the fretboard using a section of countertop that was about 2.5" thick and the the thickness of the neck blank to create the cones of force.

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

I'm very happy with the epoxy and the jointer and the glue up. These are the off cuts from each side of the fretboard. No glue lines here.

IMG_1075.jpg

My band saw has a half inch blade in it. My curves are a little rough.

IMG_1076.jpg

There's some work left to do....

SR

My truss rod was an extremely tight fit so I decided not to add any latex caulking to stifle rod clatter. I couldn't make it vibrate before I glued up the fretboard....so naturally it is rattling now while I'm working on it. Putting some tension on it later after everything is done should take care of that....I hope.

I carve out the rough sawed curves to get smoothness.

IMG_1077.jpg

Long tenon makes for a long neck blank.

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

We were talking about headstock mass......

IMG_1080.jpg

SR

IMG_1072.jpg

Nice clamps! I like that.

I'm very happy with the epoxy and the jointer and the glue up. These are the off cuts from each side of the fretboard. No glue lines here.

Excellent. I would not expect such a nice joint using epoxy... I am going to go West Systems this year at some point. Just need to suck up the cost of it all (including the scale).

My band saw has a half inch blade in it. My curves are a little rough.

SR

Get a crank for the blade tensioner and switch blades. One of these times that 1/2" blade is going to get you.

Get a crank for the blade tensioner and switch blades. One of these times that 1/2" blade is going to get you.

Yeah. I thought I had a quarter inch blade hanging on the wall, but no....it was another half inch blade and an eighth incher. I wanted the half inch for the long cuts on the neck, but I didn't want to go to one eighth...at all really. My next cuts are on the body, so I'll be picking up another quarter inch blade. Even though Drak does body cuts with his scroll saw, I don't think that's for me.

SR

Yeah. I thought I had a quarter inch blade hanging on the wall, but no....it was another half inch blade and an eighth incher. I wanted the half inch for the long cuts on the neck, but I didn't want to go to one eighth...at all really. My next cuts are on the body, so I'll be picking up another quarter inch blade. Even though Drak does body cuts with his scroll saw, I don't think that's for me.

SR

My current 14" bandsaw can't run a 1/2" blade (it cups on big re-saws). I do all my re-sawing with a 3/8" blade. The 1/4" blade works wonders on bodies and small curves ( I use timberwolf blades). Funny enough I used my scroll saw to cut bodies for years (until I got my bandsaw).

Also when properly tuned I can resaw with a 1/4" without any issues (so no problem using it for cutting the necks).

This is seriously cool scott. The grain from the fretboard just running on into the headstock is sooo fookin trick !! :D

Thanks Paulie. I got away with one here. That slice of coco came right off the top of the piece used for the fretboard--you can see where. I had to add a piece to the left edge to cover that ear and the grain happened to match up nicely.

SR

SR

My current 14" bandsaw can't run a 1/2" blade (it cups on big re-saws). I do all my re-sawing with a 3/8" blade. The 1/4" blade works wonders on bodies and small curves ( I use timberwolf blades). Funny enough I used my scroll saw to cut bodies for years (until I got my bandsaw).

Also when properly tuned I can resaw with a 1/4" without any issues (so no problem using it for cutting the necks).

My 1/4" blade was the workhorse too. I used it for everything, including cutting mesquite logs into smaller pieces for the smoker. I finally hung it up on one of those and kinked it, so I loaded up the 1/2" to see how it performed, and it's pretty good actually. The old 1/4" got turned into a rasp.

SR

IMG_1090.jpg

Back in my first post I mentioned that the pickups for this were going to be a set of P-90s made by RestorationAD. I got them today.

They were delivered two weeks ago....but I got them today.

In my neighborhood we have these mailbox clusters. If a package comes that is too big for the boxes they put it in one of those large boxes on the side and put a key in your box. Two weeks ago Monday I got a key in my box. It would not fit in the top box...and it did fit in the bottom box but would not turn the lock. No matter what I tried. I put the key in an envelope and wrote a message to the letter carrier explaining the issue. I went out of town the next morning for the balance of the week. My P-90s were due to arrive on Wednesday. When I got back Friday night my wife told me the key never returned and I had not gotten any packages. I emailed Brett and told him I had not received the pups that I knew of. He traced them and found that USPS said they delivered them that past Monday. I told him I suspected that was the case and described the useless key encounter. I told him I would get with the post office on Monday and see what I could get done about the box the key wouldn't open. He said no worries- it was insured if it came to that. Monday I went to two different post offices and made a phone call. Then I made a phone call every day of the week. They did get the key back and figured they needed to make a maintenance request to get the lock fixed... They sent a "key person" over on Wednesday who discovered a package in the top box and laid it on my doorstep. I ordered that from Amazon a week after the useless key appeared in my box. Brett went ahead and filed an insurance claim and was preparing to start over on the pups.

Today I was able to work with the garage door open and laid in wait for the mailman. he didn't want to do it and didn't even think he had a key...but eventually he got the bottom box open and low and behold the pups were there. Ironically the package was small enough it would have fit in my regular box...it shouldn't have gone in the big box in the first place.

In a few months (I expect), I'll be able to tell how good they sound.

The whole point of this story is to point out how professionally Brett handled this situation. The insurance claim was chancy and likely to be a PITA because they had a status of delivered on the order. Yet he was fully prepared to make a new set. He doesn't know me from any other way than from what I've written on this forum over the last couple of years and our emails concerning this transaction. I paid for the pups but he took it on faith that I was not trying to get another set for free. It may have crossed his mind...in my business we have customers claiming they were missing part of their decals all the time and we are pretty sure they just messed them up trying to install them. We always take their word for it (which chaps my a.. after a while), but it makes us the company that's easy to deal with and that's worth more than the damaged decal was. Brett never gave me the least impression that he had doubts about my story or wasn't going to make the order good. Not to mention the warranty he puts on these things is the best I've ever heard of.

John and several others have stated how good his pick-ups sound and I expect to join that group when this guitar is finished. But before I get that chance, I want to go on record to say that he is one class act to do business with.

SR

So, carving the headstock.

I went ahead and drilled for the tuning machines so I could mark them and see how much clearance I need.

IMG_1083.jpg

I marked them and sketched in where I want to carve.

IMG_1085.jpg

I marked the thickness on the side.Then I make the first cuts along the lines.

IMG_1086.jpg

Cutting along the lines.

IMG_1087.jpg

SR

Here it is pretty much roughed in.

IMG_1089.jpg.

Next is a matter of sanding with various types of blocks and a Dremel, with judicious use of a scraper to get the ledges flat and calipers to make sure the thickness is correct and uniform.

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

That's as far as I got today. More shaping to come tomorrow which will hopefully carry over to the rest of the neck.

SR