Buckeye Burl Carved Top.

here is one that i have been working on for the past few months. i have been documenting the build on another forum, but only because i just joined here recently. had i known about this forum then i would have done the docu-build here as i think there are a lot more people who would take interest here. i have included some of the most recent photos, and you can see the whole build process up to this point here. buckeye burl build. hope you enjoy!

5452234540_64bf0f1f2b.jpg

http://petersinstruments.com/ by Peters Instruments, on Flickr

5431849873_f3a5d7cea9.jpg

the hell-cat by Peters Instruments, on Flickr

Great!! Absolutly great!

I´m not a big fan of wood parts, bridges and covers, but in this project all wood parts have a nice harmony.

I just think that the fretboard inlays could be smaller and with no MOP contour onto the abalone, just it.

Looking the pictures make me wish to have one of this with 7 strings!

Welcome to the forum Peter!

Now that we are all introduced... This is an awesome build (I see the myka influence) and I hope you do your build threads here from now on. I have a couple of burl tops waiting on the right guitars so this is cool to see.

I would like to have seen that neck pickup either closer to the neck or have that little stretch of bare neck tenon covered...

I would interested too know how you plan on sealing/finishing/keeping the moisture out of all this burl. (if you covered it in the thread on luthiers forum I missed it.)

Those pickup covers are great... it will be interesting to see how they hold up over the years.

I am not sure I am on board with the tailpiece bridge. I will have to see it strung up...

Look forward to the rest of the thread!

:D

Thanks everyone

Ricky I think I'm to selfish to sell wood, if I had enough to sell I think I would just hoard it all to myself.

Mr. osoria, those dots are actually set in copper and not in MOP, but you may still feel the same way regardless. I have never done that before, but I personally think that copper and abalone go pretty well together.

RestorationAD, I am in the process of sealing the burl top right now, nothing fancy, just a lot of z-poxy to fill in those big voids. I'm not sure if will do the same on the pickup covers and stuff or not. I'll be interested to see how the covers hold up as well, I think that for what I do they should be fine, but in a really harsh gigging environment they might not hold up as well.

RestorationAD, I am in the process of sealing the burl top right now, nothing fancy, just a lot of z-poxy to fill in those big voids. I'm not sure if will do the same on the pickup covers and stuff or not. I'll be interested to see how the covers hold up as well, I think that for what I do they should be fine, but in a really harsh gigging environment they might not hold up as well.

I am planning on going with something from System Three or West Systems moving forward. For me Z-Poxy has always been "Almost What I Wanted". It works great but it always feels less than professional... I want something that is low viscosity to penetrate deep into the punky stuff (and not get foggy).

RAD is fine...

I am planning on going with something from System Three or West Systems moving forward. For me Z-Poxy has always been "Almost What I Wanted". It works great but it always feels less than professional... I want something that is low viscosity to penetrate deep into the punky stuff (and not get foggy).

RAD is fine...

I've thinned Z-poxy with denatured alcohol, which has worked well for me.