glassy finish

hey..on my saga neck..my woodwork teacher says i can get a glasslike finish on it my rubbing with wire wool between coats (one coat of poly everyday, for three days)

is he lying to me?

if not expect pictures soon :D

I don't know about the "shining like glass", but I know that steel wool can embed little pieces of it self into the finish and ruin it. I use 1500,1800,2400, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, and 12000 micro grit. It works great to a high polish. Just sand until all shine disappears and move on to the next one untill you have an incredible gloss. Use 3M Finesse it for a final finish. I just don't trust steel wool. I think it's fine for furniture not a guitar. Good luck.

here

I totally agree with www. Stay away from the steel wool and go to ultra fine sandpaper. You can get it at an auto body supplier. On your fianl coat you may want to wet sand it before polishing. Wet sanding levels out the surface and gets out any "orange peel" or defects that will affect the final shine better than "dry" sanding IMO.

www - Thanks for the link. I've used Micro Mesh for a while and like it a lot. I didn't know they made it in hook & loop. I just ordered the 5" kit. I have also used something called Abralom that works really well on an orbital sander. In fact, I think it was Drak who turned me onto that some time back.

I'm new here and like the site a lot.

Marty

I use to be able to find Micro Mesh on Ebay of all places cheap but the seller went out of business.

Must have been too cheap then. :D

While we're on the subject and Weezerboys question has been answered (it's officially not a hijack now) can someone tell me what grade of sandpaper is best for ripping through mahogony.

I'm trying to remove as much as possible as quick as possible, I've bought some rather nasty looking glass paper but when I use it the glass comes off quicker than the wood (so I'm thinking that it's not suited).