What Should I Do With This Cool Piece Of Wood?

This may not seem very exciting to our Aussie friends, but I have a couple pieces of Australian Red Gum. The is rare wood in Texas, and I'd like to build something that shows it off. The pieces are highly figured, but are glued up from 2"-wide boards. I know that probably isn't going to blow anyone's hair back, but this piece was hard to get even at that. Besides, whoever did the joinery did a nice job. This used to be a mantle or some-such.

The boards measure about 40" x 8" x 1-3/8". It'll be more like 1.25" thick by the time I clean up both sides. They also have some checks and holes in the back, so not everything is usable. I was planning on a Blackmachine-style superstrat. I've been wanting to do one for a long time now, but it seems so pedestrian -- does the world really need another RG-shaped guitar? I've been poking around at some other superstrat styles, especially a couple of Mike Sherman's, but I'm still undecided. Suggestions?

redgum_1_thumb.jpgredgum_2_thumb.jpgredgum_3_thumb.jpg

Edited by fookgub

does the world really need another RG-shaped guitar?

As long as there is at least one guy that plays superstrats,the answer is yes..honestly,the RG is the most well designed shape out there for that purpose IMO..and I don't even play super strats any more

Kind of like asking "Does the world really need another hot chick?" :D

Kind of like asking "Does the world really need another hot chick?" :D

Well, does the world really need another hot chick? Sounds like a lot of trouble to me.... :D

Prostheta - Never been a fan of pickguards for this style of guitar, but I do admit the clear works on your old Washburn. I might give it some thought if I was going HSS, but I'll 95% be sticking with the tried-and-true HH.

Anyway, I think I will stick with the superstrat/RG idea, but I may try to sleek-ify the lines a bit.

Here's what I currently have for inspiration:

Made by Elysian, who I haven't seen around here in a while.

I'm reasonably sure this is a Mike Sherman.

Metal Matt, who I also haven't seen in a while.

Blackmachine -- the one that kicked off the super-thin idea for me.

You can't go wrong with a superstrat, or another hot chick for that matter. Both lots of fun to play at loud volumes and look great on stage. At first look at the strat style guitars it looks like there is not much you can do to make it stand out, but there is a lot more there to work with than it looks like at first. Sleeker line, different edge contours, I personally don't like the flat bottoms on most strats, so I like to make that more curved.

Yeah,but forget about a super thin Vee out of normal weight wood...it's really tough to get them to balance right if the body is too light

Hmm... Interesting point on the V. I'd like to try one someday, but I don't think I'll be using this piece. I've always liked the idea of a King V in gloss black. So many guitars, so little time....

ESP horizon. Or Mirage if it's a flat-top. I personally hate the RG shape, to me it seems a little gimicky... but yes, like women, everyone has different tastes :D

Hate to be pedantic, but my Mirage wasn't flat top at it wasn't a Horizon shape either ;-) Sorry Ro.

mirage6.jpg

Edited by Prostheta

ESP horizon. Or Mirage if it's a flat-top. I personally hate the RG shape, to me it seems a little gimicky... but yes, like women, everyone has different tastes :D

Hate to be pedantic, but my Mirage wasn't flat top at it wasn't a Horizon shape either ;-) Sorry Ro.

mirage6.jpg

Love the jackson headstock ones. That's a seriously nice fiddle mate :D

"was"

I really wish I still had it. Despite the top having little to no flame, the fact it was understated, beautifully made and set up made up for it. I'll build myself another one sometime. Probably using a plain Maple top again!

The ESP forum denizens know nothing about it, or are unwilling to talk. Probably the latter since it isn't an EXP or a KH.

If you really want info hit up the bmusic forum in my link. There's a guy on there called Indra (I think), he's the man when it comes to wierd limited ESP's from the days of old.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

My vote is still to make a horizon from that redgum :D