Black Lotus,

That is just plain wrong. Stop it now.

(I love it)

One-piece instruments are in my humble opinion a little over-rated other than for the sheer appearance. As a system a neck-through instrument does 99.9% of the work a one-piece body will do and I think the only improvement that is it possible to make is a rear-loaded rod instead of a separate fingerboard. The whole "glued up pieces" thing holds little to no real weight other than in people's minds however a solid piece from tuner to string end mount (including fretboard and fretwork) is where it is at I think. In many ways this type of design suits open tunings, drone playing and big chords so it would be awesome to see a neck-through or a single-piece 12-string :-D

That Walnut looks great. Flatter cuts of Walnut under a dark tint resemble Ziricote in many respects.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is just plain wrong. Stop it now.

(I love it)

One-piece instruments are in my humble opinion a little over-rated other than for the sheer appearance. As a system a neck-through instrument does 99.9% of the work a one-piece body will do and I think the only improvement that is it possible to make is a rear-loaded rod instead of a separate fingerboard. The whole "glued up pieces" thing holds little to no real weight other than in people's minds however a solid piece from tuner to string end mount (including fretboard and fretwork) is where it is at I think. In many ways this type of design suits open tunings, drone playing and big chords so it would be awesome to see a neck-through or a single-piece 12-string :-D

That Walnut looks great. Flatter cuts of Walnut under a dark tint resemble Ziricote in many respects.

Rear route is always an option. But that means a walnut fret board & That does not sit well with me. These things are my ultra tone mojo, voodoo, hoodoo, black magic, touched by the hand of God & all the other superstition funk all thrown into one models. I fookin love them, hate sellin them, Never built one I didnt want to keep. But that is just me, Some people dont realy dig them.

Hey Scott, well done on the GOTM win !!

Yea, the guy wanted mad fret access. So much so that the ring needs a little tweak on the neck pup. But the fret access is laughable, Hell boy could get right in there with his big freaky hand -_- .

The guy it was designed for is missing the top of one of his fret hand fingers, so a slight mod had to be made to allow him the access he wanted.

The logistics of making a one-piece instrument are a far greater challenge than a "mere" neck-through, that's for sure.

You should convince the guy that he doesn't need the bottom half of the guitar, take the controls to the top and put the guitar through the table saw parallel to the bottom of the neck. That'll make any freaky finger access work. :wOOt

The logistics of making a one-piece instrument are a far greater challenge than a "mere" neck-through, that's for sure.

Tell me about it. Not that a neck thru is any mere thing. But these single billet carves are in another world totaly. even just finding a suitable piece of timber can be a pain.

But if the mood ever takes you I suggest giving it a go, its a realy nice challenge

How´s the tone on this black lotus? I´ve heard somewhere that walnut is a bit on the bright side. I guess it depends on each piece...

Dont know about this one yet. Not ready to go into an amp & play at this point.

But Iv found Walnut to be a nice tone. Not too bright, certainly less so than maple. I suppose id describe it as smooth & warm.

Iv done a few in sapele that had realy good low end with strong mids, But they screamed like deamons as lead guitars aswell. Not what i expected from a basicly all mahogany guitar.

Then a few in all birdseye maple (those were funky lookin ) Id have expected those to be very very bright, But they had massive powerfull low end tone :blink: aswell as razor sharp top ends for lead.

the walnut is a nice compromise between the two. So I tend to favour it.

I guess you could balance the bright woods with weaker pickups (magnets). What kind of pups did you use on that birdseye guit?

I prefer low output pups, 7.5 - 8.5. maby 9.

the maple jobbies had duncan sh1 & sh4, Irongear Blues engines, & a pair of A2 unpotted buckers I made here myself. So no massivly over the top out put gain monsters. Nice for Jazz or blues, But could still scream like a scalded cat for the shredhead in me if needed.