Project S908_1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely love the top on this.

That 12th fret dot is perilously close to an inlay....yeah I said it.

How long did it take you to shape the heel?

SR

The top is not as stunning as yours but Clairo in a V pattern is amazing... You know this was one of the cheapest tops I bought all year and it still looks really nice.

The 12th fret dot is just that. 2 dots. It is not an inlay... but I might add some clouds to the mix before finish.

That heal took about an hour to shape out. Since it is so much bigger it was easier than the tight spaces on a 6 string.

When the oil goes on this one it is going to get very dark.

What is the wiring scheme on this one? are you gonna add a 3w toggle or use the push/pull pot to switch between neck/bridge?

also, is that the finished nut? as the thinnest treble string slot looks wide in the pics...cant tell if its a trick of the camera though.

Got to say I agree on the looks of the top for this one, the walnut looks great.

What is the wiring scheme on this one? are you gonna add a 3w toggle or use the push/pull pot to switch between neck/bridge?

also, is that the finished nut? as the thinnest treble string slot looks wide in the pics...cant tell if its a trick of the camera though.

Got to say I agree on the looks of the top for this one, the walnut looks great.

Wiring scheme is same as always.. push/pull to switch. I did the 3-way with push/pull to tap coil on the D506_1 and honestly I don't have a use for the tones it produces so back to the tried and true. These pickups are not normal because of the wood bobbins and the fact I had to use a ceramic C8 in the bridge (I am not going to buy 3"+ A8s in quantity because of the cost and no one stocks them). I have an A5 from a BKP I can use like the neck and still might (the C8 reminded me what I hate about ceramic mags).

As for the nut... when I first set the high E it was off (file drifted on the pencil graphite). Luckily I don't cut final depth until the guitars have been finished for a few weeks and settle (things move when they first get done). I had to move it over. I had so much bone in the way I just cut a wider path and then used my .013 to do the final set of the string. Looks like heck right now but when I grind all the excess of the mess will be gone.

good stuff! Im not sure what mags I prefer as ive never really thought about it. The insides of a pickup make sense to me in as much as how they work...but the tonal differences of the components is something I have no idea about.

On a very basic level, i guess I prefer the alnico stuff based on the pickups I have tried and liked.

good thread as always, Ive always liked the less is more approach when it comes to guitars and your builds do that in a very smart way.

good stuff! Im not sure what mags I prefer as ive never really thought about it. The insides of a pickup make sense to me in as much as how they work...but the tonal differences of the components is something I have no idea about.

On a very basic level, i guess I prefer the alnico stuff based on the pickups I have tried and liked.

good thread as always, Ive always liked the less is more approach when it comes to guitars and your builds do that in a very smart way.

Learning the guts of pickups and tones leads to useless voodoo arguments with meat heads that believe everything they read on the internet and guys that have entirely too much time/scientific knowledge to experiment.

When it comes it pickups trust your ears...

Thank you for noticing the extreme amount of work I put into the minimalist approach (I promise it is not an excuse to keep hardware costs down :D ).

Absolutely love what you did with the headcap. The whole headstock looks great too for that matter. I usually find 8 in line headstocks to be a bit ridiculous, but for whatever reason this one just works.

-Mike

Thanks. Proportions are very important in guitars. One thing I really wanted to do was to make sure it didn't look like a 6 string with a 8 string neck stuck on it.

I spent a few days drawing the thing out on the computer before I started. Then I ended up printing it out and adjusting a few things by hand. Prep work pays off.

One trick I will share with designing guitars. After it is drawn out in full scale look at it in a mirror. Bad lines/shapes/proportions will show up when the image is reversed. If it still looks good in the mirror it is fine.

• 1 month later...

S908 #1 (Chronos) is a Peruvian Walnut/Maple neck with Bloodwood fretboard attached to a super thin Peruvian Walnut body topped with figured Claro Walnut with hipshot parts and Hand Built Diablo 8 string pickups with Bloodwood bobbins.

Neck : Peruvian Walnut/Maple

Fretboard : Bloodwood

Scale : 27.5

Frets : 24

Body : Peruvian Walnut/Claro Walnut

Tuners : Locking

Pickups : Diablo 8 string Humbuckers w/Bloodwood bobbins

Bridge : Hipshot

Electronics : 1 Push/Pull Volume

Full_1.jpg

Back.jpg

Front.jpg

Front_2.jpg

That's beautiful RAD. :D The accent line under the claro top really ties in the contrasting woods perfectly. The proportions of the wide neck sticks out to my eye...my brain is used to 6 string proportions....but that's kind of what you get with an 8 string huh? :D

This is really really an impressive piece. What kind of comments did you get on it at the show? Was anyone allowed to play it?

SR

That's beautiful RAD. :D The accent line under the claro top really ties in the contrasting woods perfectly. The proportions of the wide neck sticks out to my eye...my brain is used to 6 string proportions....but that's kind of what you get with an 8 string huh? :D

This is really really an impressive piece. What kind of comments did you get on it at the show? Was anyone allowed to play it?

SR

Tx.

I let several people play it. Almost everyone loved it. Had one high school girl sit down and thrash on the thing... it was fun to see it used right.

I had one dude complain the neck was thicker than his Ibanez... but it is not. The neck is 20mm at the 1st and 20mm at right before the heal so it is actually thinner near the body than the Ibanez. Thinking about it he could be complaining about the width but I think I took that from Ibanez as well...

I think the main thing is that they usually played it and the 7 string. The 7 string is one of the greatest dark serious sounding guitars I have ever built and the 8 sounded a bit bright next to it. So the comment was "Make it sound like the 7 and I will buy it" So that is the plan...

...attached to a super thin Peruvian Walnut body...

How thin is it? My first came in at 15/16", but it was a hair shallow in the control cavity. I'm shooting for 1 1/4" in the re-build, and as a neck through.

Pretty thin. They have to be over an inch thick to get the push pull in them. I am moving to 33 or 34 mm next year. It is just too much work getting controls in such a thin guitar.

1.2665 in.

31.16 mm