Balsa Wood

Svento

Honestly, as much as we all fuss about wood, it's not nearly as important as electronics. Rather than chasing neutral build materials, be on the lookout for the right pickups, amp, and EQ setting.

ah contrare, my fellow Texan. Wood is everything. I mean the difference between pecan vs, mesquite, the flavor is night and day. Now oak vs hickory is a mild change. While cherry has it's places as well. Oh My I'm talking BBQ, wrong thread :D :D

MK

So true, nonetheless.

I suggest that you check out the Dan Armstrong Plexglass guitars first (if you haven't done that yet of cause). That whay you have a rough idea how a solid plexi body will sound and it might give you an ide of how a balsa core body with plexi shell will sound. Or PM Hitone as he has built a archtop with a plexi body (it was Hitone, wasn't it????)

And then you need to just go ahead and build the guitar.

I've seen Armstrong's stuff. My idea doesn't look the least fancy, as it will have a wooden block between the plasic... Didn't find the archtop, but I've had some semi-solid idea flashing around in my head the last few days, and it seems like I contamined some guy on some other forum.

I don't believe my project will start to happen for quite some time yet. It's many different things about the overall construction that I must solve first, and then there's economy.

if you check this years' TDPRI challenge, you will find TWo plexi builds... one was a laminated sheet composition and the other was a solid piece, with a plexi neck as well

here's the laminated one

ScatterLee took down his video for the other

(if you search this years' entries, you will find what it took for both to be built...and you do not need to be a member to see the threads)

Edited by LightninMike

I usually don't react much to how guitars sound. they sound strat or LP or hollow. More or less fat/sharp...

But, man... I think this tele has a truely amazing tone. Maybe the best electric guitar tone I've ever heard. I'd like to make a semisolid fiddle with a solid neckthru centerstock and a singlecuttaway body made from bent and molded sheets. Carbonfibre fingerboard, singlecoil PU.

Wood sucks!