First Build - At100 Clone

Still in the planning stages, but starting to make a little progress on my first build.

Was up until about 3am this morning drawing out what you see. Most of the measurements

are very similar to a typical Fender Strat, with some Ibanez flare to make it unique.

I own one of the original AT100s (#9 of 150), so it was a given that it would be the

subject of my first build.

Aside from all I've read on this forum, I found a lot of help from the tutorial DVD

from LMI on designing & building a guitar from the LMI kits (they sell the DVD separately).

Body - One piece Alder ($30 score on Ebay!), planning on a tobacco burst

Neck - Maple neck (Warmoth neck blank), StewMac Hot Rod double action truss rod

Fretboard - , maple StewMac fretboard blank w/12 in. radius, 22 fret with Dunlop 6100 fretwire

Pickups - HSS config with DiMarzio Cruisers in mid & neck positions, DiMarzio AT-1 in bridge position

Tuning machines - Sperzel locking tuners

Bridge - Wilkinson VSVG strat replacement bridge

Current status:

AT100blueprint.jpg

End goal:

AT100CSBL.gif

Looks great, and I'm anxious to see your progress! But why would you want to put an Ibanez logo on there? Not only is it a copyright violation (as if anyone will care), it's fun to come up with something original and meaningful to you!

Not sure if I will put an Ibanez logo on it or not. I'm not selling it, so I'm not worried about copyrights and such. Second, I occasionally run into Andy Timmons, so it would be neat if I can get it dead on and see if he could tell the difference. :D

As far as progress and work goes, this might become competition for the Pointy Stick thread. :D

Edited by plinky

There are ways around the copyright thing. People switch a letter or two, thus creating a Ferden, Gipson, or in your case an Ibazen.

You going to use the Andy Timmons humbucker in there? I've got one in an alder guitar (a Nuno copy) and I really like it.

Yup. The AT-1 is a DiMarzio version of a Seymour Duncan JB IMO.

My real 100 was my main guitar when I bought it in 2000, but it's starting to look like Andy's prototype:

IMG_1023.jpg

necks.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

I didn't want to put it out to pasture, but it's gone up in value (been offered $5k for it sight unseen), so I've been looking for a

replacement ever since. I play a couple of Warmoths I built that are close, but not the same. If I can get the neck close to that of

the 100, I'll be more than happy.

Not really worried about the copyright thing. Since this is my first build attempt, if it actually gets completed, it won't be for sale.

• 1 month later...

I did make it to sister's house last night.

11092011219.jpg

But I wasn't prepared for this evening at work just before close:

11092011220.jpg

Haven't had a major accident in over 20 years of working on cars, and that

came to an end at 3:45pm, and a month before my band's final gig no less.

Luckily, only 6 stitches, I can still feel everything, movement isn't impaired,

and nothing's broken. Unfortunately, any activities guitar related are put on hold,

hopefully not for too long (and my favorite finger too).

Edited by plinky

What did you do to cut it that bad? I did the same thing last winter but I got my finger with my table saw, almost cut the end of my finger off all the way to the first knuckle, all guitar playing was done for about three months but I continued to do my best at building but ended up having to wait a month and a half befor eI could do anything major.

Should be a cool build. Mentioning the pointy stick thread brings up memories of having to empty my email inbox twice a day to keep it at a reasonable level haha.

:D Good times,

and memory jog, I did tell you where I got the spring cover didn't I??? :D If not it was Australian Luthier Supplies http://luthierssupplies.com.au/index.php?cPath=164_165_445

Hope everyone's fingers heal up and stay in one piece from now on B)

What did you do to cut it that bad? I did the same thing last winter but I got my finger with my table saw, almost cut the end of my finger off all the way to the first knuckle, all guitar playing was done for about three months but I continued to do my best at building but ended up having to wait a month and a half befor eI could do anything major.

Working on a worn out Pontiac Montana minivan trying to find a intermittent chirping in the belt (long story). Both my index & middle fingers got run between the belt & power steering pulley, with the middle finger taking the brunt of the damage. Not to mention I also had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics they gave me so I was up all night itching like mad. :D Basically it ripped the flesh open on the palm side of the finger. It's not near as bad as your injury (hope everything is ok), but it's enough to wonder if I'll heal up enough to play a gig in a month.

and memory jog, I did tell you where I got the spring cover didn't I??? :D If not it was Australian Luthier Supplies http://luthierssupplies.com.au/index.php?cPath=164_165_445

Hope everyone's fingers heal up and stay in one piece from now on :D

The original AT100s didn't come with a rear spring cover (not even drilled for it), but I appreciate the help. B)

Man, right when I needed to change the power steering pump on my Mustang ... now I don't think I will haha.

That's no good about the finger though hopefully it does heel up enough by that point, it might hurt to stretch the finger a bit though for a while. With mine I couldn't lift my arm straight up for about a month and a half without it pulling on my finger so much it hurt. I can't play acoustic anymore either unless I want to just listen to muted notes and fret buzz basically because the scar is riht where the string sits but I'm slowly re-learning. I think your finger should be good by then though.

It's been 3 days and the wound is healing fine. It's the sprained two fingers that's driving me nuts. They're getting better (both movement & swelling), but my impatience is getting the better of me. ;D

You shouldn't have any problems with the p/s pump, just do it WITH THE ENGINE OFF! :D

You shouldn't have any problems with the p/s pump, just do it WITH THE ENGINE OFF!

You mean except for the standard problem of getting the pressed on pulley off and back on with the cheap Chinese tools available at most auto parts stores?Good luck.

They're a pain whether you're using a cheap Chinese or Snap On puller/installer (which could be Chinese these days). If you can get the pump off the

car and into a vise first, all the easier to swap the pulley. If not, sucks to be you. ;D

Getting back to the subject, I've noticed that my templates are slightly larger than the guitar body I'm cloning

(about 1/8 in. at the most in some spots), but the control/pickup cavity matches up almost perfectly. Would it be

crazy to fix the template to the body via double sided tape (maybe with a spacer in between) and use a pattern

router bit to follow along the body and trim the template to proper proportions? Want this to be right, so

all/any suggestions welcome.

Getting back to the subject, I've noticed that my templates are slightly larger than the guitar body I'm cloning

(about 1/8 in. at the most in some spots), but the control/pickup cavity matches up almost perfectly. Would it be

crazy to fix the template to the body via double sided tape (maybe with a spacer in between) and use a pattern

router bit to follow along the body and trim the template to proper proportions? Want this to be right, so

That would work but if it's only an 1/8th inch off at most I wouldn't even worry about it, no one would tell more than likely and it wouldn't feel any different. What areas are off?

That would work but if it's only an 1/8th inch off at most I wouldn't even worry about it, no one would tell more than likely and it wouldn't feel any different. What areas are off?

All around the body. The control/pickup cavity is pretty much spot on. I didn't use a sanded down pencil when I traced the body onto the plans, so that's where it's coming up larger.

I think if you used a pattern bit on it you'd end up damaging the guitar. If it were me I'd just sand it down until it was accurate.

Did you see this thread?

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=26121

Specifically the part about making a master template out of 1/8" hardboard, then using that to make a thicker template out of MDF. This might be easier for you to refine a more accurate template.

I think if you used a pattern bit on it you'd end up damaging the guitar. If it were me I'd just sand it down until it was accurate.

Did you see this thread?

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=26121

Specifically the part about making a master template out of 1/8" hardboard, then using that to make a thicker template out of MDF. This might be easier for you to refine a more accurate template.

I did say it was a crazy idea. :D

It looks like the center lines match up with the pickup cavity, so I'll probably fix the template to the body then trace the outline again to the correct dimensions and trim it up from there. Just thought I'd ask first.

I made an effort to read & watch the tutorial before, but I couldn't sit through it all. Sorry.

• 1 year later...

Wow. Has it been this long since I started this thread? Funny how time flies. Well, the finger healed up just fine, I was able to play my band's final gig, and even did a small reunion the following year. Have built some pre-made part guitars since the last post and even a SLOClone, but now it's time to get this thing done. Started from scratch on this today. Threw my old templates in the trash and went with some I bought online. Not the best, but I can make them work.

rgrouted_zps026d3958.jpg

It will be an Ibanez RG style body (I was told this was an alder blank, but I couldn't tell you), hopefully with an AANJ (bolt on). I have some flame maple for a top, but I might just save that for another guitar, depending on how well this one goes. It will have a 22 fret maple neck/fretboard. It will be a rear routed body (most likely). Electronics & hardware are sketchy at the moment. The current thought is make it similar to the current Guthrie Govan model (HSH, recessed strat trem), but I still keep thinking about an HSS config and putting a Floyd Rose on it. Save that for a later post.

Apartment dwellers tend to complain about any noise, so I had to do this in my sister's garage. Need to tell her to invest in some dust collection equipment. ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Have actually made some progress, albeit slowly. With work occupying most of my time, I'm lucky to get anything done on my weekends off. I kept trying to plan out these massive to do lists of what I wanted to accomplish, only to accomplish none of them. So I started taking baby steps to get this thing done, and it seems to be paying off a bit.

Sanded all the sides of the body, and then took a french curve and outlined the neck heel, then sanded it down as well.

rgaanj_zps16647c23.jpg

Was going to route the neck pocket last weekend, but the weather postponed that. I did a test run for the neck pocket on some scrap, but I learned that double-sided tape is no match for the Texas heat. It was melting the adhesive, then the neck pocket template was shifting, which ruined my test route. Ended up making another set of body/neck templates using the body as a master:

rgtemplates_zpsb5555aed.jpg

Marked the location of the pickups, then wood screwed the templates to the body, then trim routed them to shape. Did a test run on some more scrap - successful! Crossed my fingers and took the plunge:

rgpocket_zps3b06359e.jpg

Had a spare neck lying around. Looks good so far.

rgpockettest_zps633df3d0.jpg