after

photo7-3.jpg

photo6-4.jpg

these horns were a F@#$@42 Pain hahaha

photo8-3.jpg

rough carve done

photo12-3.jpg

photo13-2.jpg

back control cavity cover routed. (template sucked... lesson learned. Use good template material and take more time!) Got to wood fill around the sides so it sits perfect

photo10-4.jpg

Taped off 3/16th binding (notice spots that sit above tape, These were sanded down flush to the tape for an even binding)

photo14-3.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sanded to tape

photo16-2.jpg

binding lacquered (in case of getting through the tape) and stained first coat

photo17-4.jpg

Sanded back and added black

photo18-3.jpg

in the light, looks pretty rad!

photo19-2.jpg

sanded back and added red. (I dont know why i forgot to take the sanded back photos.. damnit.)

photo21-2.jpg

added a black stain burst

photo22.jpg

in light.

photo24.jpg

Sanded back everything and restained everything just for added depth and got this

photo25-1.jpg

in light (in person you could definately tell the difference)

photo26-1.jpg

Edited by Pestvic

scraped back binding

photo27.jpg

(seen from the top, i sanded it more into the top after this pic. Its more noticable now)

photo28-1.jpg

Heres how it hung for a couple days so the moisture could be drawn out of the top again

photo29-1.jpg

So while I waited I sanded the fretboard back to 1500 grit. (crowning the files after the file comes in the mail)

photo30-1.jpg

Days later, after sitting in a heated area and letting the moisture leave the top, I sealed it all in (for some reason now that first golden washcoat can be seen through in the light. I LOVE IT haha)

photo31-1.jpg

So this is where I am now. I need to get a 1 1/4" Cove bit. I forgot to carve the dips for the volume/Tone knobs. I also need to route the 5 way blade switch with my dremel)

Im not worried about the stain or anything so I shouldnt be a problem. Im going to tape off each part im cutting and going to restain the spots.

so now Its sitting here until my cove bit and 5 way switch and files and such come in the mail.

(test fit the pickups to see what it looks like.. Im going to get black chrome pickup rings for this guitar)

photo32-1.jpg

Oh yeah headstock stained a slight red :D

Thanks for looking! Updates as soon as my parts come in.

Thanks! just about to post some more updates. Once I got this body fully sealed im going to glue the neck to the body finally. Then I have to wait to cut the knob holes, 5way switch hole, re-stain those areas THEN finish haha. So excited! Might get this done before the crap winter weather :D

Taped off the binding and front

photo34.jpg

photo35.jpg

sprayed the back semi gloss black (dont worry I sprayed it out back on the deck in a booth I made then brought it in to dry)

photo38.jpg

photo36.jpg

dried

photo41.jpg

took off the tape.I always loved natural binding :D

photo43.jpg

photo44.jpg

And now its hanging waiting to dry then I will seal It allll together :D

photo33-1.jpg

Edited by Pestvic

I think you could have taken a little more time on the horns, as the lines are a little "hand made" looking. If that's what you were going for, then bravo!

Other than that, I think this came out very nicely! I can't wait to see it finished :D

I think it was more... "The horns were a F#$@$@# pain in the ASS" haha. The next build will be immaculate :-P thanks for the advise though :D

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyway, damn its been a journey. I finally got an internet source at the new apartment and have got this all done. I started a new build but I didnt want to start posting a new thread until this one is done. It only feels right to finish this first.

Made a Smoked Plexy electronics cover.

photo45.jpg

Painted a headstock design thing (The black part has become my new headstock design.)

17b40cac.jpg

Painted the neck black too

98348bba.jpg

Glued the neck in.

ae9de0b3.jpg

Shes a guitar!

d8757e64.jpg

At the time this was a worry. I later found out I can just sand it down and add coats until its smooth. Sanding it down over and over gives it a very thin nice black finish also.

ee230eb8.jpg

Is there a way to prevent this? I sprayed so carefully/slow and everything.

Added the first sealer/clear coat

2ae84596.jpg

I warm the clear up, just a pic

40f74217.jpg

more coats, This pic shows the Golden oak stain that shines through I was talking about, that beautiful yellow that comes through I just love!

a06e6e81.jpg

even more coats

75f9d599.jpg

Edited by Pestvic

I believe this was first level and semi buff after a day or two. (As a test)

36dc99a0.jpg

leveled frets before final buff

25cf8271.jpg

This is where I stopped taking pics cause I forgot. Next post will have the shots of its current status and it all completed and put together :)

Sorry for taking forever :-P

So here she was first put together and hung up after buff and the pics above.

IMG_5511.jpg

IMG_5584.jpg

Here she is in her current state. Her gloss looks GREAT its not cloudy at all. That's just the sky. the black has gotten a bit beat up at some shows I've played :-P

photo42.jpg

photo40-1.jpg

photo39-1.jpg

photo38-1.jpg

And there she is :) Thanks guys!

I thought about putting it in july for gotm but i dont think i can compete with you guys yet :-P Maybe the next build. Its coming along so nicely :)

• 2 months later...