67 Flying V "modified Copy"

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta build me a V... SG first!

An SG is going to be one of my next builds...I have enough Cumaru for an SG and an Explorer...both super thins...with the SG though I want to have some type of top,so it most likely would end up about 1 1/8" thick...I am going for 7/8" on the explorer

Okay...a couple of semi-crappy photos..I have the guitar sanded to 220 and just got the epoxy coat on it.tomorrow I should have it sanded level and ready for clear by the afternoon.I believe this epoxy is going to take more to level out than CA :D

l.jpg

l.jpg

I don't want to do any more full body pics until it is assembled....don't want to spoil it

Well,I do have one stupid thing going on that isn't going to go away.

See the glue joint in the center of the top?barely there,right?Looks pretty good?

l.jpg

Well,when sanding the top,apparently I hit a void of some type...I don't know where it came from,or what caused it,but I suspect when I clamped the top together to join it there was a soft area that gave away under the glue..only thing I can think of,I don't know...but I thought I could make a groove and fill it with sanding dust to make it less visible...didn't work

l.jpg

But whatever.I can't do anything about it that wouldn't look stupid or lame,so it's a good thing this guitar is mine,eh?

Today was a good day,though...I got the epoxy sealer leveled and brushed on(yes brushed) my catalytic varnish,and this stuff has a small window(between one hour and about 12 hours)where it sands easily,before it gets rock hard,so I sanded it all mostly flat so that this week I can get it the rest of the way flat and topcoat it so next weekend I can polish it and possibly start assembly.This is where it stands right now..basecoat complete and sanded to 220

l.jpg

Truth is that it was all like that small part until I tried to cut the groove and fill it with wood dust...That's what I get for trying to make a slightly visible glue joint invisible

Never did that before :D:D

Did the same thing on a small crack in the neck on Helios (looks like a ravine now).

Did the same thing on a small crack in the neck on Helios (looks like a ravine now).

:D

I had no idea someone else made the same mistake..I feel a little better now.

I guess I should count myself lucky that I tested it on just the end of it instead of the entire thing all at once..

:D

I had no idea someone else made the same mistake..I feel a little better now.

I guess I should count myself lucky that I tested it on just the end of it instead of the entire thing all at once..

Seriously? We all make mistakes. Some of us are better at disguising them than others.

I hate the heart sinking feeling that I made a serious mistake. The difference is now that I am old (yes I am 40) I look at it as a chance to be creative to cover it up.

They are no longer mistakes but intentional changes to make my work distinctive. :D

00:06:42 Hey man, I think I'm gonna have to finally do it.

00:06:46 Do what, man ?

00:06:47 Put scars all over my face guitar, man.

00:06:49 I'm getting too handsome, man.

00:06:50 This guy thinks I'm burt reynolds.

00:06:52 I gotta give the other actors builders a chance.

Closeup...it is really not that big of a deal I think..nothing I would ever want to do again,but realistically it isn't going to hurt anything

Definitely not that bad. Truth is probably only you will see it when this beautiful guitar is fnished.

I guess it goes without saying that we all make mistakes. Sometimes the corrective action improves matters, other times just the opposite.

I have already assumed that the impossibility to complete a build without any mistakes is in the very nature of handbuilding...

That guitar will still be gorgeous, don't worry more than necessary.

This guitar is coming along nicely.... knowing that the line is going to always catch you off guard, what about using a thin piece of the maple inlayed onto the top? set up a router to run a thin cut and then lay the maple in.... it visually breaks the book match, but that is already done.... all you are doing is adding a visual accent but not changing the "color" of wood you are using....or use some of the dark dyed pear wood and give a nice clean separation

Edited by LightninMike

knowing that the line is going to always catch you off guard, what about using a thin piece of the maple inlayed onto the top?

Nope..an obvious cover up would attract my eye more than this tiny line,especially once the TOM and tailpiece are on.

I ordered a branding iron with my name on it for the headstock