Why Laminate Neck Blank ?

I'm curious what your main reason is for laminating neck blanks.

Is it to fight wood movement by aligning grain orientation in opposite, or at least different, directions ? Or is it to promote strength by attempting to have the grain running as perpendicular as possible to the fretboard..."quartered".

Seems as though Fender is okay with flat sawn slab necks so my guess is that it's more for stability but I'm curious why you may do it ?

I have some 1" slabs of mahogany, wenge, and maple that I'd like to use for necks and looking at the grain direction I can rip more usable strips by just planning for opposing grain direction versus only using the quartered strips. Should I be shooting for mostly quartered ?

Thanks,

Steve

sounds like you have all the answers already, that is pretty much it.

its stronger, more resistant to warping and it allows the use of a greater variety of wood

for 1-piece necks i insist they are either flat sawn or quartersawn - i am not so bothered for multi-piece necks as long as they are balanced

so i would be happy with (A) 'rift/quartered/opposite rift' where the end grain looks like this \\\\\lllll/////.

but i would not be happy with (:D 'rift/quartered/rift' where the end grain looks like this \\\\llll\\\\

to get from B to A you just need to flip one of those outer pieces around

here is a real life example

neckwood2.jpg

you can see maple and mahogany grain is symmetrical on each side - the wenge in the middle it flatsawn. So i have used rift sawn wood in a way that overcomes its issues. wood that would normally be useless for guitar necks has become usable again

sounds like you have all the answers already, that is pretty much it.

its stronger, more resistant to warping and it allows the use of a greater variety of wood

for 1-piece necks i insist they are either flat sawn or quartersawn - i am not so bothered for multi-piece necks as long as they are balanced

so i would be happy with (A) 'rift/quartered/opposite rift' where the end grain looks like this \\\\\lllll/////.

but i would not be happy with (:D 'rift/quartered/rift' where the end grain looks like this \\\\llll\\\\

to get from B to A you just need to flip one of those outer pieces around

here is a real life example

neckwood2.jpg

you can see maple and mahogany grain is symmetrical on each side - the wenge in the middle it flatsawn. So i have used rift sawn wood in a way that overcomes its issues. wood that would normally be useless for guitar necks has become usable again

Awesome, thanks for the insight Wez !

You can do it for looks ala alembic,

http://www3.alembic.com/img/inst/14100_pegheadbackL.jpg

But also a good reason to do it is so that you can scarf the headstock (and there for use a thinner neck),

When you do the following type of scarf joint headstock, it leaves a visible glue line right across the headstock,

scarf11.jpg

By gluing veneer on both sides you hide that glue line and makes the whole headstock stronger.

Edited by Neil Beith

You can do it for looks ala alembic,

http://www3.alembic.com/img/inst/14100_pegheadbackL.jpg

But also a good reason to do it is so that you can scarf the headstock (and there for use a thinner neck),

When you do the following type of scarf joint headstock, it leaves a visible glue line right across the headstock,

scarf11.jpg

By gluing veneer on both sides you hide that glue line and makes the whole headstock stronger.

Gotcha....thanks Neil.