Amplifier Tips

Dirge for november

Hey guys,

I'm looking for an amp to ad to my collection and was wondering if you have any tips.

It has to be a tube amp and needs to work well on lower volume settings. That is where the problems start, because the amp sound I'm looking for comes from amps that are loud enough to blow up a country.

I'm looking for a stoner/sludge/drone sound. Most bands that play anything like the sound I'm looking for play Sunn amps, early (matamp built) Orange, Sound City 100, etc.

I currently own an Orange Tiny Terror (equipped with JJ tubes for now). I'm happy with it, but I want to play around with multiple amps and switching between amps (clean / dirt).

You could check out the Egnater Tweaker (gonna get me one of these), along with the VHT Special 6 Ultra. You could also look into building yourself and airbrake (type of attenuator). There is a detailed BoM and such at The Amp Garage.

Thanks for the replies. Vox nighttrain: nah, I have the Tiny Terror which is in my humble ears a bit better sounding then the nighttrain. Also I think the orange comes closer to the sound I'm looking for.

Thanks for the attenuator tip. I will look into that for sure!

Another thing is that it has to be slightly affordable and my preference goes out to old vintage stuff. Does anyone have any 'secrets' as in: unknown vintage amp brands that sound killer?

An amp I'm looking into is a Hohner Orgaphon, I'm in love with the looks and the clean sound but doubt it will do the sludge/drone sounds.

I want to sound something like this:

The problem is: This guy uses I believe 5 Sunn amplifiers and two ancient Orange's at the same time. haha. (the dirt kicks in at around 2 minutes)

I'm not sure what I'm looking for actually exists :D

Keep an eye out for old amps in garage sales and the like. Most mail order companies and bigger music stores had house brands that they ordered from people like Valveco (Sp?). They can be had very cheap and are usually in the 5-10W range. Make sure to replace the power cord with a three prong grounded one though.

Different attenuators have slightly different sounds. From what I have read, the THD hotplate is not very transparent, but the airbrake is supposed to be the most transparent. Pretty much all others fall somewhere in between. Again, not personal experience, just what I have read, so take it for what it's worth.

Edit: I doubt you will get that sound with a small tube amp. Try sticking something like a red llama or other fuzz box in front (possibly a modded fuzzface).

Edited by Ripthorn

lil
night train much smaller only 2 watts

What I actually mean to ask is does pushing the powertubes make a significant difference? Significant enough to spend money

there is a definate diffence between preamp breakup and power tube breakup.

heres some amp cab things to think about

for a given cab it takes aprox 10 times the wattage to double the volume.

so if you have a 4x12 cab and are running 15 watts to double the volume you need 150 watts, to half that volume you need 1.5 watts.

that being said and i dont have the numbers but if you kept the 15 watts and went to a 2x12 its somthing like 66% volume (thats if i remember that number right) so i would say your best bet would be to go to a smaller cab. i personaly wouldnt go smaller than a 10" speakr though i find any thing smaller lacking but thats me.

That demo sounds better then I expected!

The cab story: interesting. I currently use a 2x12 loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's. But doesn't going smaller surpass my goal of making peoples trousers come of with heavy bass? I have a 1x10 but it sounds like empty crap in comparison.

In any case, using one of those 2watters on bright setting with full gain and full volume and high treble settings whilst using my TT through another cab with a ballsy bass heavy setting (using a signal splitter) might get something near what I'm looking for.

• 11 months later...