Firewood-my First Project Guitar

I recently began work on a guitar I have had for about 5 years. It has never been anything fancy but I hope to improve it dramatically.

392702_2961917657282_1541806291_4294109_1912369724_n.jpg

This is its current condition except I sanded down the back of the neck for smother playing and burned/engraved a marking in the headstock.

407115_2966422609903_1541806291_4296264_1783106502_n.jpg

I plan to do a complete renovation on this entry level guitar, make it something worth showing off :D, so new paint/material, all new circuitry, some new hardware, and maybe at a later date refretting or changing the fretboard all together. I am still new and that may sound a little bold to do all of that on my first project but it will be spaced out over time (mostly because of money). Any and all advice on anything guitar tech you have for someone new to guitar modification I would greatly appreciate.

-Al

Fully Sanded

395708_2994785478957_1541806291_4306296_1976030860_n.jpg

I started looking around for paints and found a really good site for exotic paints (i.e. Pearleceants, Glow in the dark, Candy, thermochromatics, Flakes, ect.)

Here is the link if anyone is intrested: http://www.paintwithpearl.com/products.htm

Right now, money is the issue. Waiting to get enough to buy the electronics I need.

Ill keep updated on how it goes.

I have a detail sander. It's a good one, cost a couple hundred dollars.

I don't use it on guitars. Buy a cork sanding block and familiarize yourself with the grades of sandpaper.

The only time I use a mechanical sander is during the woodwork/carving process. During the sanding process it's all done by hand. Remember also, the harder the spot is to sand, the more important it is to do it properly as that's most likely where your paint will fail.

Cheers

Also, if you're going to spray metallics or pearls, make sure you read up on the different spraying methods, as if you try spraying them normal you'll get what they call train tracks.

It's not as obvious on a small surface like a guitar as it is on a car, but it's still good to do the research and cover bases.

I was taught the following tip by a mate of mine who is a member of this forum but I don't think he posts, just lurks. He used to paint trucks for a living and I'm pretty sure I remember him saying some of the paints he used were as much as $2000.00 a liter! So they have to get it right the first time. Spraying a massive surface like a truck you need to have a technique down or it'll look like arse

When I spray these type paints I usually spray 3 coats.

First I spray normal horizontal. Second I spray diagonal left to right. Third I spray diagonal right to left.

On the second layer you'll still see train tracks, then on the third it'll just fill and look "right"

When you mix it up like this all the flake spreads even and looks great. If you shoot it normal then you run the risk of areas not being even.

I have a detail sander. It's a good one, cost a couple hundred dollars.

I don't use it on guitars. Buy a cork sanding block and familiarize yourself with the grades of sandpaper.

The only time I use a mechanical sander is during the woodwork/carving process. During the sanding process it's all done by hand. Remember also, the harder the spot is to sand, the more important it is to do it properly as that's most likely where your paint will fail.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice! What type of clear coat do you recommend? Also, Is automotive paint my best bet for the base color?

-Al

"Firewood" :D I love it.

I started off the same as you are, twisting factory guitars into customs, and I still do on occasion. I've covered 'em in velvet, chrome, posters, you name it. Some have become wall-hangers or "reminders"....

The best laid plans can sometimes go awry, so cutting before planning was something I had to grow out of.

You seem to be well on your way and you're at the right place. When I showed up here, I could build a body, but necks were out of my reach.

Finishing is an area that I myself lack expertise in , so you won't get any advice from me in those regards.

As far as your neck goes, before anything else, get it leveled and crowned. You'd be amazed what that'll do for it! If you still wanna re-fret it later you can, but that will require leveling and crowning anyway, so......

Awesome link to the paint supplies, BTW. :D

Hopefully, this one will get built and won't live up to its name.

As of right now I am completely obsessed with this project, so I don't see it falling to the way side XD, The only problem really is money. A 62' reissue fender strat tremolo is gonna run me $100, and the SeymourDuncan set I am looking at is going to run me another $205. Then there is the rest of the electronics, and its hard to pay for on a students budget :/. I do what I can though whenever there is something that can be done. I really enjoy working on this project.

Before you even think about painting that body, make sure you fill and seal it properly. Being plywood, it will suck paint in around the sides and ends for a pastime, so spending plenty of time on filling and sealing is well worth the trouble.

As of right now I am completely obsessed with this project, so I don't see it falling to the way side XD, The only problem really is money. A 62' reissue fender strat tremolo is gonna run me $100, and the SeymourDuncan set I am looking at is going to run me another $205. Then there is the rest of the electronics, and its hard to pay for on a students budget :/. I do what I can though whenever there is something that can be done. I really enjoy working on this project.

keep an eye out on e-bong and the like for used parts. Its a ply body so be a bit flexible about what you put on it. You can cut the costs by a fair bit with that approach.

Before you even think about painting that body, make sure you fill and seal it properly. Being plywood, it will suck paint in around the sides and ends for a pastime, so spending plenty of time on filling and sealing is well worth the trouble.

The body is coated in resin, but I sanded through some areas, do I only have to worry about the areas that are bare wood? Or would you recommend me doing something about the resin coated areas as well?

The body is coated in resin, but I sanded through some areas, do I only have to worry about the areas that are bare wood? Or would you recommend me doing something about the resin coated areas as well?

You certainly need to do the areas you have sanded through, then maybe a coat of resin or similar over the whole body followed by sanding flat to give you a decent level finish ready for painting.

You certainly need to do the areas you have sanded through, then maybe a coat of resin or similar over the whole body followed by sanding flat to give you a decent level finish ready for painting.

Thank you for responding so fast, is there any brand sealer you would recommend?

Quick update: demonx, after feeling how smooth the body was after being sanded to 600 I just had to do the neck... and oh my god... I have never felt a neck that glided so well. going to get wood filler tomorrow. New bridge is in the mail, along with new knob covers. All electronics are ready to be put in.

Edited by FadeAway

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

Auto 2k can give a really good finish, but takes lots of practice and expensive equipment to spray.

I'd suggest asking your local paint supplier what they advise for your budget, skill level and equipment you have - UNLESS you're cashed up and can afford to buy a new setup.

Cheers