Neck Pocket Taper

Hi Guys,

I have been collaborating with a guitar designer over the past few weeks to map out the templates of my first build, I am extremely happy with the finished result but I have just noticed that the neck pocket and heel of the neck have a taper to them. Is this something that is purely decorative and I could just forget about and just adjust the plans to have angled joints rather than a curve. If not can some suggest what I can do to create a taper. Looking at many of the builds on here it is not a necessity. Here is the template. Construction starts next week IMAG0196

Not really sure what you mean you may have to post pics.

Many companies have different shaped heels on their bolt ons, even look at B.C. Rich's Invisibolt guitars, they have an extreme heel on their bolt on necks, so if you have something original in mind don't be afraid to experiment .

1153421088717_1149952475222_IM004480.JPG

What do you mean by taper? Do you mean the width across the neck? If so, it's normal. Do you mean an angle on the heel to work with a tune-o-matic bridge? If so, then you will likely need it for proper action. If neither of those, then what are you defining as a taper?

Or are you saying an angled neck pocket? If that's the case yeah it's fine, as long as the neck angle is right. It will actually help you in the long run with the action.

Now that I look at your picture I'm guessing you are talking about the neck pocket not being a rectangle or squared like a Fender correct? The rounded edge won't be a problem at all.

From the pictures, there is no neck angle. The bridge looks like a strat style fixed bridge, so wouldn't need a neck angle. I think you must be talking about the curve on the outer edge of the neck pocket. That is far better than a standard Fender style neck pocket as it makes playing the higher frets much more comfortable.

I take it the guitar is a left hander? If not, the drawings are mirrored :D

I think I know what he's saying.

The neck pocket and the heel of the neck are supposed to be tapered. That's because the guitar strings hold a steady taper throughout their length. Therefore, the fretboard has to taper along the heel. And having a fretboard hang off the edge of the neck isn't ideal. So the whole neck has to be tapered - even the heel. You were expecting 90 degree angles in the neck pocket though, right? The luthier could do that, but it would leave a very small gap between the neck and the body. It sounds to me like the luthier you're dealing with is doing the job correctly.