Project S907_4

The bocote top is going to look great.

Oh no you didn't. :D

I'm surprised at how close the cocobolo and the sapele are in color, and by how much I like that fact. It looks like one morphed into the other.

SR

I think next time (yes I have one more like this to build this year) I will slap a Maple veneer in between the 2. I expect the cocobolo to become much more Orange and Darker by the time I oil this one it should be great. And if not it still looks pretty good.

I think next time (yes I have one more like this to build this year) I will slap a Maple veneer in between the 2. I expect the cocobolo to become much more Orange and Darker by the time I oil this one it should be great. And if not it still looks pretty good.

Test the oil on some scrap coco and let it sit for as long as you can handle it. From all I've read and experienced, cocobolo is the one of the oiliest woods out there. It will all come to the surface and turn into a dark, gummy mess unless it's sealed in. The only thing that seals it in reliably is shellac. I have the suspicion that if you just oiled the coco (linseed oil?), you'll be in for a big disappointment and a bigger headache.

Test the oil on some scrap coco and let it sit for as long as you can handle it. From all I've read and experienced, cocobolo is the one of the oiliest woods out there. It will all come to the surface and turn into a dark, gummy mess unless it's sealed in. The only thing that seals it in reliably is shellac. I have the suspicion that if you just oiled the coco (linseed oil?), you'll be in for a big disappointment and a bigger headache.

Thanks for the heads up. Already made this mess last year....If I had not made a royal mess last year with Cocobolo and BLO I would have just thrown it on and made a mess.

Not that I won't test it first just in case :D Had too many times I said "Yeah I have this figured out" and it goes bad...

Behlens Teak Oil is best for oily woods like Cocobolo. I thin the first coat as well to make sure it penetrates and seals up. I don't use BLO finishes much anymore as I get better results from Tung Oil Varnish mixes. Since they mix better with the oil in Cocobolo they don't do what a BLO finish would.

One thing I have done with some success is using acetone on the top before the first coat as well.

• 2 weeks later...

That headstock with the lams showing through on the sides is cool. Are you going to let that stand as is?

SR

Yes Lams sticking through was intentional... that is S906_6 it is in the S9 Continued thread... it is where I am trying to show a little woodworking. When that guitar is done I will have to photograph it from about 20 angles to show all the silliness in the neck.

Surprised no one said anything about the wavy seem in the middle of the Cocobolo headstock on this guitar... :huh:

Surprised no one said anything about the wavy seem in the middle of the Cocobolo headstock on this guitar... :huh:

That was inattention on my part. When I saw the close up I thought-cool, he's going to do a couple more of those wavy half and half headstocks. It didn't even click that that was two parts aleady put together instead of one part getting ready to be cut into two. The grain matches are close enough to not draw attention. The next few times it showed up, it didn't register as anything other the wavy grain cocobolo has sometimes. If you were going for subtle....hit hit it. If not, you may have outdone yourself with your joinery skills.

SR

I actually did see it. After your ebony/maple cavity cover I have started looking for little eccentricities in your work. Love it.

• Like 1

I'm gonna hazard a guess.

I bet he's picked a surface of his neck blank that he wants to face up--and this offset is put in before any scarfing, carving routing and so on is done so he doesn't for get what side he chose. :D

Fess up RAD, inquiring minds want to know.

SR

• Like 1

Actually I'm pretty sure I know the reason. It's so that when he does builds with a slanted neck single coil, the neck pocket is the same. I think I remember seeing that in one of his builds.

I'm gonna hazard a guess.

I bet he's picked a surface of his neck blank that he wants to face up--and this offset is put in before any scarfing, carving routing and so on is done so he doesn't for get what side he chose. :D

Fess up RAD, inquiring minds want to know.

SR

Rifle you old dog you figured it out...

Haaaa! It is so I don't forget which direction the neck goes in!

I'm interested in knowing the purpose of the small offset in the neck pocket & on the end of the neck heel:

Since Scott already told you the secret I will fake some real answer....

P3220701.jpg