Humbucker Swap

thickchez

In swaps from passive to active,I was always able to make room in the control cavity for the battery by merely wrapping the battery in foam and electric tape and just pushing it somewhere into the control cavity.You just have to wrap it so it does not touch bare metal to anything.

that would be a lot of help cause i'd rather do that than have to drill an entire box for the battery. ill see how much room is in there and see what i can do. any other tips for this ?

Not really. Its all pretty much obvious. You may want to make sure the EMG's will fit though if you dont want to do routing. I put emgs in an ibanez rg7621, but I had to route out the pup cavities. As far as the battery was going, I was able to put the battery in the control cavity in the back without any modification. As a slight bonus, when I sold it, I put the original pups back in, and it didnt look "wrong".

Most 6 string EMG actives will fit in normal sized routs.I have never had them not fit.The only ones that are larger are the new X series and they are only taller,but they suck anyway..and the 7 and 8 string pups,like on the 7621

The Japanese Ibanez models(like the 7621) sometimes have smaller than normal routs.But you should use the stock pickups in those IMO because they are top quality pups already.Hogging out the routs on such a valued instrument is not ideal..

I used to be a big fan of EMG,but the quality has suffered lately.

Most 6 string EMG actives will fit in normal sized routs.I have never had them not fit.The only ones that are larger are the new X series and they are only taller,but they suck anyway..and the 7 and 8 string pups,like on the 7621

The Japanese Ibanez models(like the 7621) sometimes have smaller than normal routs.But you should use the stock pickups in those IMO because they are top quality pups already.Hogging out the routs on such a valued instrument is not ideal..

I used to be a big fan of EMG,but the quality has suffered lately.

It was indeed a poor choice, but the dimarzio's weren't my cup of tea. I wouldn't be caught dead putting EMG's in a six string, so I never knew they just "fit" right in haha. Good to know!

• 3 months later...

why again would emgs be bad in a six string? i mean the 85 is hot as hell quite a bit of bottom end and has a slight treble roll off that is quite nice in the bridge position.