What Kind Of Buffer Do You Use?

Hi all,

Currently I'm looking into getting a buffer. I'm curious to know what kind of buffers you guys are using, what seems to be the best thing to use for working on guitars. Are you guys using full sized buffers, bench top buffers? or buffing wheels that you put into a drill???

Any heads up and reasoning behind why you use what you use would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Rick

Grizzly used to make a good variable speed pedistal buffer but I'm not sure if they still do or not. Otherwise I have used the foam pads you get from oriellys. They work just as good but I have had more issues with burning through the finish than with the Grizzly, probably just because they heat up a little faster.

HAS to be variable speed. HAS to be.

I only have two buffers here and I don't recommend either of them as they are both makeshift for guitar purposes.

I use an electric car buffer, the grinder style. Gets the job done but it's too big and awkward for cutaways etc

I also have a random orbital air buffer here (its actually my brothers but lives here unused!) which I don't like. I much prefer the electric.

Grizzly discontinued those pedestal buffers a few years ago -- about a month before I tried to buy one.

I use the StewMac buffer mounted on their swiveling pedestal, and it works really well. For the tight corners and cutaways, I use a dremel with the cloth wheels.

Grizzly discontinued those pedestal buffers a few years ago

Thought so.

I remember seeing an old video from Dan Erlewine where he used a random orbital sander with buffing pads attached to that. You really can use anything, you can buff by hand too if you want. Last time I tried that I left like my right arm was about ttwo times the size of the left though :D

• 4 weeks later...

I used the cloth discs from Harbor freight attached to a dewault cordless drill. I have severall different sizes wich is nice for getting into the cutaways and smaller areas. the larger ones work best for the top and back though. this is my still in progress lp axcess tribute wich pales in comparison to most of what I have seen here, but its shiny!531200_3654823603654_1066482185_3360370_49490729_n.jpg

Grizzly discontinued those pedestal buffers a few years ago

Thought so.

I remember seeing an old video from Dan Erlewine where he used a random orbital sander with buffing pads attached to that. You really can use anything, you can buff by hand too if you want. Last time I tried that I left like my right arm was about ttwo times the size of the left though tongue.gif

There's a reason I like to call this the Armstrong method :D. I've done it this way for a few builds, but I will likely be changing that up sometime soonish.