Searls - Bolt On Bitza With A Quilt Top

So I found a heater for the workshop, its not flashbut I forgot I even had it. Just wish all three of the elements worked.

The dogs have claimed it as theirs while I work in the cold...

IMG_2655small.jpg

Making templates:

IMG_2658small.jpg

Roughed out with a finger sander ready for to file back to the lines by hand:

IMG_2660small.jpg

So, what is your veredict on the flap disk? I love it to death, no matter what I'm working on, wood or metal.

It's not a "miracle" or anything - it did cut out a bit of the work, but made some in another way, hense it was hard to keep from diggin in sometimes and hard to get a smooth surface.

Maybe I just more practice using it.

So, what is your veredict on the flap disk? I love it to death, no matter what I'm working on, wood or metal.

It's not a "miracle" or anything - it did cut out a bit of the work, but made some in another way, hense it was hard to keep from diggin in sometimes and hard to get a smooth surface.

Maybe I just more practice using it.

I'm sure once you get used to it you'll never use anything else.

How I do a five minute comfort curve:

Take a template:

IMG_2667small.jpg

Rough cut on the bandsaw:

IMG_2668small.jpg

Scuff with the flap disc (new toy for me so gotta play with it!):

IMG_2669small.jpg

Clean if up with a rasp:

IMG_2670small.jpg

Smooth it out with 40 grit on a random orbital - it'll stay like that until I start paint prep:

IMG_2671small.jpg

Next job - elec cavity.

I made myself a layout template today as I'm sick of lining up holes every build:

IMG_2679small.jpg

Router bit, drill press - you can work out the details.

IMG_2683small.jpg

Lining up the template making sure theres ample space for the pots:

IMG_2685small.jpg

Open up one of the holes so the router can sit flush:

IMG_2686small.jpg

Add the recess:

When I made this template it was originally for V's, so when I clamp it to a superstrat theres no body where I originally had clamping space. So I clamp the guitar and template seperate.

IMG_2687small.jpg

Body is now done - as in, no more work until paint prep.

IMG_2688small.jpg

IMG_2690small.jpg

Some color testing on some scrap quilt:

IMG_2694small.jpg

Lining up the neck so I can drill the mounting holes:

IMG_2695small.jpg

320 sand the whole thing:

IMG_2697small.jpg

Wearing a nitrile glove I rubbed the whole rear ad sides of the guitar (focusing mainly on the Mahogany) so that during the paint process I wont have to lay as many clear primer coats.

Being how cold it is here at the moment - I'll just let it hang over night before rubbing this back.

IMG_2699small.jpg

320 sanded.

I left a lot of the black on there so it'll dumb down the candy blue, as the candy blue I've got is very bright.

IMG_2711small.jpg

Trying out a new clear to use as my clear primer. It's some European stuff I've never heard of but the guy at the shop assures me it's good. Since it's only $200 a tin it's less than half the proce of my good clear, so it's worth a try.

IMG_2712small.jpg

First clear coat, first of three I'm guessing fromthe way the clear layed down:

IMG_2713small.jpg

IMG_2714small.jpg

No heat lamps today so the photo's are a bit dark. I'm not sure how this product will react and I don't want to have any screw ups, so I'm playing it safe since I've had clears react to the heat lamps before.

It's also reasonable cold, so I'm doubling my hot weather flash times to accomodate. This is where a lot of painters screw up, not allowing for the weather or long enough flash times.

Im starting a scrap bits guitar for myself today. I hope it turns out even half as good as this thing is.

Realy cool guitar -_-

You'll have to make a thread of it!

I went out and had a look at how this clear was curing yesterday, I'm not too happy with it. Next time I use this clear I think I'll add a bit of reducer. It's not meant to be reduced but it doesn't look like it flowed very well.

Looks like it's peeled in places and puddled up in others. If you can kmagine what water looks like on the hood of your car when it pools up, well this is an exageration of what i think this clear has done.

Guess I won't really know till I sand it back. If I hit raw wood in any spot I'll re clear, if not, it'll get color sooner than later.

Why didn't anyone tell me I forgot the side dots on this neck?? !!

Lucky I noticed in between paint stages, so I can still add dots and sand back before laying last layers of clear!

IMG_2722small.jpg

IMG_2808small.jpg

Why didn't anyone tell me I forgot the side dots on this neck?? !!

Lucky I noticed in between paint stages, so I can still add dots and sand back before laying last layers of clear!

I have done that before... I was completely finished and playing the guitar when i noticed... Had to disassemble and call a redo.