Custom Walnut Bass

There's some quite deep scarring in the body there. You might want to scrape/sand/steam those out before you find further down the line that they alter something you don't want them to. A mm can be a lot in many instances.

*notice the finishing*

Ah, cool. Bridge turned out awesome! :blush

Note to self: read thread completely before commenting.

Glad you like it! The saddles will need a lot more work, but I'm very happy with the way it's been going so far. You were reffering to the pic of the lacquered electronics cover? It shows some of the surrounding wood before sanding. The finished body will be allowed some dimples in places where I used the epoxy to fill the voids and it sunk back, to highlight the "naturalness" of the piece, but the rest is pretty nice.

Made the wax paste yesterday, and applied 3 coats. Seem nice and dry this morning, we'll see if it needs any more.

This is the wax paste while still warm:

img20121128114225.jpg

And I'm posting this fuzzy pic just to show it's color when cold - it has a consistency of mayonnaise, roughly. I've used local market beeswax and a common mineral thinner. Applied with one cotton ball, and polished with the other, clean one after a while.

img20121128182426.jpg

A sample of the figuring and the finish:

img20121128182437.jpg

And the whole body!

img20121128184651.jpg

For the next batch, I might add some paraffin to make it a little harder when dry, just to compare the results.

• 2 weeks later...

Leveled, recrowned and polished frets, oiled and polished the fretboard, too, currently making an aluminum nut.

We had a lot of snow, and living in a middle of a forest is not of much help...I hope it will melt next week, I can't even get to the shop without a shovel. One car frozen, the other got stuck in snow for a while yesterday...

img20121212152646.jpg

img20121213105810.jpg

img20121213113713.jpg

img20121213114712.jpg

Oil part is Lineseed-oil based varnish-mineral thinner 1:1:1, but I've added another 0.2 of varnish, and then another 0.5 of thinner afterwards to quicken the drying time, and the wax is 3:1 beeswax to mineral thinner.

I did the headstock with the first mix, and it was drying slow, so I prefer more thin coats with quicker drying time.

The customer got the guitar last night and he loved it! It sounds great, I have to say that the GFS MusicMan pup is really really good! He'll play it for a few days to let it settle, and then I'll do a final setup, lower the nut a bit etc etc... Dual action rod we had made locally works great too! An added bonus for me was that he's a great player, so it was really fun to hear it properly played. He is a great guy, so I had a good day yesterday.

I'll add some photos and sounds when he sends me some...

This is his band (I hope it's okay to post this? if not, I'll remove it):

Wow, it turned out really nice. The walnut really pops now after the oiling.

Do post sound samples!

Stupid question #1: how come the saddles stay in place? Friction or there is some means of fixing them that I failed to spot?

#2: I have linseed oil, I have mineral spirits... where do I get oil based varnish? Should I just go to a hardware store and look for lacquer that will say "thin with mineral spirits" on the tin?

Thanks!

Yes, the saddles are held in place just by friction and string pressure, which is enough, after setting the intonation I made small marks for him to be sure where to place them when he changes the strings. There are two screws from the bottom that can raise or lower each string, but I will probably make another set of saddles that I think I will like more, pretty simmillar to these, but with more flowing lines.

Use boiled lineseed oil, at least I did, good quality thinner for oil finishes (mineral thinner) or turpentine, and you should find varnish in the same shop I think. Paint section of the home improvement stores should carry it. If you want to do it like I did, make sure to add 0.5 extra unit of thinner, because you won't be wasting much time waiting for it to cure. If I recall right, I have 6 coats of oil on it, one per day, and four coats of wax paste, 2 per day.

This is a first time I've used this kind of finish, so it could perhaps be done better or differently, but I like the result which I got. The wood was sanded up to 800, and also between the coats of oil.