Entropic Fretless Reverse J-Bass

Hi Guys,

It's been quite a while. I'm back (I hope)

So there I was, a guitar player that wanted to be able to record some bass playing along to his creations. The goal of this project is the making of a bass that is easy to build, low on costs but high on mojo. Mojo in this case coming from some decent quality parts and build materials.

Things that make it cheap and quick to build:

Just one pup

No frets

Body wood: bamboo, I had some leftovers

Neck: Maple with some rosewood

Tuners: Oldschool nickel Schallers

Bridge: Wilkinson with brass saddles

Finishing: None, except for some tru-oil on the neck most likely

Pickup: Not sure yet, but to start of I have an '80's (i think) active Ibanez set of 1 j-bass and 1 p-bass

A mockup of what it might end up like looking:

entropicjazzbass.jpg

The Materials including the template, but excluding the neck blank (because I forgot to put it in the pic):

100_7340.jpg

Because the guitar is just a tad to big to get out of the bamboo I have, I've adjusted the lower (used to be upper) horn as such:

100_7345.jpg

Edited by Dirge for november

Thanks. Shouldn't tell you this, but the reason the 12th has three and the higher fretmarkers two, is that I accidentally while forgetting to think, centerpointed two dots on the 15th fret. So I ended up doing a couple more :)

Happy accident. It gave it some additional character.

SR

Some of your build techniques are very similar to mine. We both use minimal tools to work the boards down to what we need. jointers, planers and sanders would be great, but I don't have them, so hand sawing, jigsawing and chiseling are used instead.

I have found that a circular saw makes neck shaping much simpler, since its easier to cut a long straight line than a jigsaw. Same with body cutouts, you can use the circ saw to chop away most of the excess body, then the jigsaw doesn't tend to wander off.

I really like the backwards logos on the headstock. 1 cool point for that one. :)