King Of Diamonds / Jack Of Spades / Queen Of Hearts (The Royal)

Have you ever read a book called hand made hand played ?

http://www.amazon.co...56189094&sr=8-1

There is a guitar in there with a similar concept. Although if im honest. yours is barley begining to take shape & it already trumps the model displayed in the book.

sounds like a cool book. i'm gonna check it out. thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting that you apply shellac prior to filling the grain. I presume that this is to protect the rest of the wood from any staining?

Two reasons. You are correct, the shellac seals the wood so the filler won't stain it. Also, tru-oil doesn't adhere well to oily woods, the rosewood center strip would be a problem. Trust me, I've had problems before. ;-) Shellac sticks to everything.

So I do 2 coats of shellac, sand with 320, two more coats of Shellac, grain fill, sand dried filler with 320.

Any shiny pores, means the filler didn't get in there... So I have to decide whether to do another grain fill session or hope the tru-oil coats will fill them. In this case I only did the one grain fill session.

Then I'll seal the filler with 2 more coats of shellac. Sand w/320 & 500.

Now I can start the tru-oil layers. Three VERY LIGHT coats per day and scuff with scotchbrite after every third coat. Total of 12 coats.

Cool - good to know my brain still works :-)

I'm thinking of spending a couple of months shooting Shellac for experience....are you using something like a 1-1/2lb cut or thereabouts? Sounds like a fantastic base for a curing oil like Tru-Oil. Can't wait to see how she looks when all this is done!

Cool - good to know my brain still works :-)

I'm thinking of spending a couple of months shooting Shellac for experience....are you using something like a 1-1/2lb cut or thereabouts? Sounds like a fantastic base for a curing oil like Tru-Oil. Can't wait to see how she looks when all this is done!

You got it! i use 1-1/2 lb cut. & use one of those Preval spray systems. Can't beat it for $10. I don't have an elaborate spray system, so it works great for me. Plus I only finish the necks myself. I have a friend spray the body with nitro. I love the tru-oil feel on a neck though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...