Have you ever looked at what people are selling in terms of custom guitars on Ebay?

I ran across this Stukely

. For $1000, you get a laminated strat with an "oil finish". What!!??? Some of them are listed as sold but can still be found on Ebay.

Anyway, I was really surprised to see that there really aren't many custom builders selling on Ebay. Maybe it's the fear or sketchy, scamming buyers? It certainly does feel better to sell to someone face to face but I'm still surprised at the lack of builders on Ebay. Even the ones I have found don't seem to be very, ummm, high-end.

Am I missing a bunch of them by not searching properly?

Anyway, I was really surprised to see that there really aren't many custom builders selling on Ebay. Maybe it's the fear or sketchy, scamming buyers?

I don't think that's it, I think it's the fact that no one knows who you are, and has no idea how the guitar will play or feel exactly. Selling them on consignment in a music store is a WAY better way to go. I've tries selling a guitar on Ebay, never sold, but did then sell in a music store. I have sold a mandolin I made on Ebay, however.

I tried one on ebay when I first got into selling on the 'bay. I had 2 strikes against me - 1. It was a bass (IME they move slower on ebay and get less $$) and 2. No one knows who the heck I am on ebay. So I'd have to agree that a music store is a better option for customs. I have since sold lots of guitars and basses on ebay but they were all name brands. At first I thought it was the starting price I was asking but I proved that wrong with future sales that have started at much higher prices.

I'm kina lucky in this area since I know someone who owns a music store (and it's really doing well). I have no need to sell online and I hope it stays that way. I just was surprised to see so few. I was checking out luthier supplies on Ebay and decided to see what turned up when searching "Custom Guitar". I expected to at least see a bunch of "Ebay Store" type items and links to builders sites. I'm afraid what will turn up on google - probably 100's.

Anyway - what's with the "Hand rubbed oil finish"? I have a feeling he may not have the equipment/desire/expertise to do something like poly or nitro, ... but is passing it off as a "rare- hand crafted" natural, old school type of finish. Maybe it's just me being cynical again - I'm like that.

I'm kina lucky in this area since I know someone who owns a music store

Anyway - what's with the "Hand rubbed oil finish"? I have a feeling he may not have the equipment/desire/expertise to do something like poly or nitro, ... but is passing it off as a "rare- hand crafted" natural, old school type of finish.

Yeah, I'm good friends with the owner of a 'Mom & Pop' type music store. It's where I buy alot of the hardware that goes into my instruments and it's where I've been selling them, plus I get WICKED discounts!

I do 'Hand Rubbed Oil Finishes' on my instruments. I hated using spray paint on my guitars, so I started putting the oil on the bodies as well as the necks. It's not 'cheap' or anything, most big manufactureres actually charge more for that type of finish because of all the hand sanding and hand application involed. I'm just starting to get into spraying finishes with a comperssor and gun, but I LOVE the look and feel of a natural oil finish.

ebay is ok as long as you're sensible. Only buy from people with feedback (then again people with a bunch of bad feedback should probably be avoided!). Make sure you read the description carefully and ask the seller questions so that you know exactly what you're buying. I agree tho, i was scared the first time! Never spent more than £40 on ebay! There are many poeple on this forum that have done $1000's of trade, at least 99% of which have had good experiences.

It's not 'cheap' or anything, most big manufactureres actually charge more for that type of finish because of all the hand sanding and hand application involed.

Well, I'm certainly no expert but I have read that an oil finish does very little to protect the wood. I like it for necks but would never want an oil finish for a body. It would be destroyed in no time. I still think that he doesn't have the capability to do a spray finish. I think I would rather just buy an unfinished guitar from him (if I were to buy one) and have it finished somewhere else. He could also do a shellac finish which would provide more protection.

Anyway, I just got a feeling from that guys site that his instruments were more of a hobby quality but he seems to be selling them as pro quality.

that is correct...i used to love oil finishes untili read how little they protect the wood.and "hand rubbing" an oil finish is quite a bit easierthan polishing a hard finish.

the only exception is tru oil,it is much better at protecting from moisture because it is polymerized...which means it was brought to 500 degrees in an oxygen free atmosphere

the only exception is tru oil,it is much better at protecting from moisture because it is polymerized...which means it was brought to 500 degrees in an oxygen free atmosphere

Yeah, I actually use a polimerized oil on my instruments. I get it from Lee Valley. If you put on like 15 coats of this stuff, it will actually get thick and glossy, and you can actually wetsand and polish the stuff like lacquer or something. I love the way this stuff brings out the grain in a real natural way. I don't care if my instruments seem 'cheap' with an oil finish, ask anyone who's played one and they'll say it's SWEET. I usually I use a sealer first, then the oil, sometimes just the oil.

Polimerized Tung Oil Sealer

Polimerized Tung Oil

This stuff is also cool because it comes in a few different shades. I've used it on a body before, works well if you want to sorta darken or tint the wood to a darker woodish tone.

Danish Oil

i also just learned that sanding sealer is not necessary,according to the book i am reading...it says it is usedbecause it is easier to sand back and even out the pores with,not because it is thicker.

hey lex...i used tru oil on my carved top,and i didn't need a sealer,and that was with mahogany.i put on a super thin sealer coat(not sealer,a sealer coat))and it set up in like 5 minutes and stopped sinking in the pores...worked great...then i scuffed it up and rubbed on about 3 more thin coats,then sanded the little bit of unevenness out,and put on about 6 more top coats.

but you know what...i removed all of that finish because i wanted to do something different and i am replacing it with a shellac sealer coat(mixed fresh from flakes)and nitro top coats.

the shellac and nitro goes on like a dream...that stewmac aresol tip is greatand the nitro burns in and flows out very well.

it takes more time...but it is superior over the long haul to the oil finishes,according to this godsend of a book i bought at drak's suggestion.

i was looking at it all wrong...finishing for me was just an evil i had to get through after the fun part of building

now that i am learning about finishing,it turns out that it is also just as much or more fun