Guitar Body Made From 17 Pieces!?

There is a swedish builder, Robban Sarling of Ares Guitars, that uses (used) birch for necks. He said that they sounded very much like a maple neck. Haven't used it myself.

I've used quartersawn Birch on a guitar neck and it came out extremely well.

http://www.lydian.ca/Portfolio/Pages/Cedar_Top_Thinline.html

I'm using it again on two more guitars with a flame maple board and SS frets.

Wood is wood. No tree grows up with the express intent of becoming a guitar! There is just good raw material and bad raw material for a specified purpose, including the processes of harvesting wood and preparing it for the end use. The rest comes down to availability and choice.

Flooring wood is still wood at the end of the day, so as long as it has been prepared from green to stock in a manner that makes it suitable for an instrument then it can be used for that. Certainly, I wouldn't want my flooring warping any more than a guitar neck....!

I'll be taking some trees down soon and I will be drying American Elm,Elf Maple(we call them box elders around here),Chinaberry,and Hackberry and eventually turning them into guitar bodies to see what is good and what is not.

Still planning on harvesting the Walnut at my buddy's place to.I think by the end of 2013 I will have stacks of wood drying that will last my entire lifetime...