Pickup Audition Test Bed Guitar

The idea here is a guitar that I can swap different pickups in and out without loosening or removing the strings. Rear-loading is an idea that many people have thought of for that purpose, and this is my version. No focus on cosmetics, just a simple poplar body, with one coat of clear shellac and 2 coats of amber shellac.

I did do my typical "gut cut" profile ("Why settle for the belly bevel when you can have the gut cut") With the controls mounted to the front of the body, if I decide to change control layouts, I can just plug holes and redrill. If you look closely you can see I have already done this once.

First up for audition is a pair of Duncan P-Rails, with a Gibson T-top for reference on the humbucker sounds. Each of the P-rails has a 2P4T rotary switch for p90, parallel humbucking, series humbucking, and rail combinations.

The neck I am using needs a new nut, so it will probably be Saturday before I get to plug this in.

DSCN3028_zpse7228afe.jpg

DSCN3025_zpsb759ba11.jpg

DSCN3024_zps3d58e44c.jpg

DSCN3035_zps8b1b8a1b.jpg

DSCN3038_zpsf135d6b9.jpg

Interesting idea.

I had something similar in mind for some time in the future, though I hadn't though of making it rear-loaded. One extra thing that I though of was making the pickup position adjustable - so that you could take one pickup and slide it all the way from the bridge position to the nut position to watch the tone change.