Finishing a Saga guitar

guitar_ed

Hi All,

I may be doing a project involving teaching kids how to build a Saga T style guitar. I want to use Tung oil to finish the bodies, because I don't fancy spraying 6 bodies with nitro.

Has anybody done this before, or used Tung oil on another Basswood project?

Any input would help.

Thanks,

Guitar Ed

go for it daddy go!

I may be doing a project involving teaching kids how to build a Saga T style guitar.  I want to use Tung oil to finish the bodies, because I don't fancy spraying 6 bodies with nitro.

Is it spraying the finish you don't fancy? Have you considered a wipe-on poly finish? I seem to recall Jehle used a wipe-on for his guitar(s) but his website seems to be being updated. I posted this link to Lizzy Daymont's carvin build before. She used tung oil with Minwax Wipe-on Poly.

Howdy All,

Thanks for the comments & suggestions. I am working a project in East San Jose to teach the kids how to build & play an electric guitar. I don't want to spray anything. Too much time, etc. But I like the idea of Min-Wax. I will look into it.

Min-Wax for the body, Tung oil for the neck. :D:DB)

Guitar Ed

actually i don't reccomend it for anything anymore.what happened was i read a book which told me everything i ever needed to know about different types of finishes,and although it is a better moisture barrier than lindseed oil,tung oil is still not a very good barrier.

the whole point to wood finishing is to protect the wood from scratches and most importantly from moisture,which will destroy the wood over time.tung oil is a soft finish which barely protects against moisture and not at all against scratches.

a hard finish such as laquer or polyuerethane is MUCH better protection.

the thicker the coat the better the protection.tru oil is the only decent oil finish because it is polymerized which makes it harden and makes a better barrier.it is still inferior to varnishes.

my suggestion is to get some aeresol nitro from reranch or stewmac and put a nice thick gloss coat on.it will look better and your guitar will be more stable

Aren't those SAGA bodies sealed from the factory? That should eliminate any stability problems, so all the finish has to do is look nice (enough) and provide some mechanical protection. You could use any good brushing finish, even brushing lacquer for furniture, or spar varnish. Tru-Oil, or any good gunstock oil, won't give much mechanical protection. Or you could just use a roller and nitro lacquer :D

I've used all sorts of stuff in my furniture refinish biz. For a low-end but decent finish, I liked the Homer Fornbys wipe-on poly satin finish. Looked real nice for something I applied with a piece of foam. I'm suprised you are'nt building the bodies from scratch Ed... :D

Hi BN,

Believe it or not, it is cheaper to buy to the Saga kits than to build one from scratch. The problem is that I would use higher quality woods, etc. Not to mention the time requirement. For teaching kids to build a guitar, when you have to call people and beg for money, $$$$ becomes real important. Plus ease of use.

But I do appreciate the thought BN.

Guitar Ed