Removing Shielding Paint?

I bought a refinished preCBS Jazzmaster awhile back, and unfortunately a past owner has painted all the body's cavities with very thick coats of 'nickel print', or old school liquid shielding paint.

Does anyone know how to remove it without having to totally strip and refinish the body?

Thank you,

ken

There is so much paint that the whole guitar sounds strange. Imagine playing with all the treble removed over 3khz or so and you get the idea - no sizzle to notes. It's not the neck, pickups or electronics, as I borrowed a buddy's Jazzmaster and switched the parts out to test them. BTW, all the electrical parts including pickups are original Fender parts.

ken

wire brush end of drill

Hi Ken. Perhaps MG Chemicals can advise you on how to get ahold of the solvent for it. Alternatively I would try things like citric acid if it wouldn't otherwise affect the workpiece. The resultant sludge - if it worked - would require safe disposal after neutralisation with bicarb.

Thanks for the good ideas.

I'm leaning toward a 'dry method' of removing this stuff, since the body was refinned in a very nice shade of dark blue and I don't want to

damage it. Supposedly heat might soften this stuff, so I was thinking about trying a small heat gun in the pickup pocket first to see what happens.

I wish this was the 'modern' graphite based paint and not nickel paint. This stuff is probably hazardous too. :(

ken

Edited by acpken