Project The Hand of Doom -- Reprint

Working on pickup placement. I am pretty sure I am doing a single mini humbucker with a chrome cover. I am afraid anything else will cut into the top. I got a plan though... having recently finished several mini humbuckers for Avenger I did some experimenting and this one will be fitting for the Hand of Doom! Alnico8 magnet, No pole pieces, mixed coils of 44 and 43 gauge wire. Should be a beast.

PA280276.jpgPA280277.jpg

PA280282.jpgPA280284.jpg

Joints were good ... I buy new titebond for every project. However I decided to try epoxy on the headplate and the top seam. I used Z-poxy never had an issue with it before. I used titebond to glue the top and headplate to the guitar itself.

I think we have to assume that the wood wasn't dry enough. But I will say this the Ziricote and the Bocote were very strange pieces and the crazy grain did not help the issue. I though that gluing them to stable wood would keep them from moving but I was wrong.

Hard to photograph the cracks they don't shop up. Here is the headplate split. It looks fine but you could put a piece of paper in it... The other is the bridge crack. It actually separated on the grain not the glue line.

PC110492.jpgPC110494.jpg

Drilling the tuners. I start with the 1/2" for the recess. I got a new toy from Stew Mac. It is a 10mm center mill for drilling the tuner holes. Best tool I have bought since the Dragon Rasps.

PC170504.jpg PC170505.jpg

Pretty cool. You drill a 5/16" hole on top then use this bit to drill from the back side. Tuners fit tight as I only drill deep enough for the base to fit in (about 3/8"). Nice... allows me to leave more wood in the headstock as well.

PC170506.jpg PC170507.jpg

Sanding all the finish off... The sanding sealer went milky and needs to come off. Of course it is under 3 coats of lacquer. I guess this thing really is evil.

P4150095.jpg P4150093.jpg

This thing really doesn't want to be finished. Maybe I need to sacrifice a spray gun or something...

Ordered a new can of EM6000 and am getting much better results this time. Should be done next week. It needs a sanding and 2 more coats as the seem in the back decided to show through at the last minute. This thing is possesed...

The EM6000 goes on milky white then as it dries it clears up nicely. The first batch must have frozen in shipping because the milky white would not disapear as it dried.

P6170676.jpg

The new stuff looks pretty good and is going on flat.

P6170677.jpg

P6170674.jpg

Man. It is pretty strange to revisit one of your old threads and see you working with the old tools. Apparently I've gotten real used to seeing your CNC work.....

There's a couple aspects of this build I had totally forgotten about. Namely it surely looked like you routed for pickups in the sapele, and then covered them up with ziricote and comepletely ignored them from then on.

Serious voodoo there.

Oh, and lets not forget to mention that this is one of the classic builds on this site....perhaps one of the signature builds. Thanks for bringing it back!

SR

Man. It is pretty strange to revisit one of your old threads and see you working with the old tools. Apparently I've gotten real used to seeing your CNC work.....

There's a couple aspects of this build I had totally forgotten about. Namely it surely looked like you routed for pickups in the sapele, and then covered them up with ziricote and comepletely ignored them from then on.

Serious voodoo there.

Oh, and lets not forget to mention that this is one of the classic builds on this site....perhaps one of the signature builds. Thanks for bringing it back!

SR

Luckily years ago I wrote a program to turn plain txt into forum and blog posts. So I still have all my old build threads in plain txt and can convert them to any format I need easily.

The thing I miss was all the talk in the thread where I explained how it kept taking left turns and guys asked all kinds of questions.

I did preroute the sapele for a set of Humbuckers. Then I got the top and knew I couldn't put big holes in it. Then I did several experiments with mini-humbuckers trying to copy the Diggins pickups from "old boy"

The really funny part is now with the CNC I can recreate the "old boy" pikcups exactly except for the stupid cobalt magnets that I can't find anywhere.