Project Diablo -- Reprint

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished up the dry build last night. I have some slight back bow in the neck buit the trussrod is double action and takes it out easily (1/8 turn). The fret job turned out great. The cheap diamond fret file really made the job a lot easier. I think the neck need to be thinned a bit and that might help with the back bow. It doesn't flex at all right now and feels a little stiff (heck they always do when you start)

P1040555.jpg P1040556.jpg

P1040562.jpg

First coats of sanding sealer. I am using Target Coats Sanding Sealer and a new HVLP gun. I like the ease of the water-based clear but am not a fan of the way it sprays. I grew up spraying and thought I was pretty good but the new gun and water based paint are rough to get smooth. I hope to learn this new stuff...
p4030063.jpg p4030064.jpg
p4030065.jpg p4030066.jpg

Pictures of clear drying are boring. So lets talk about target coatings. The stuff takes some getting used to. I had to sand all the finish off the neck on this one because it turned milky were it was building up. It was my fault... I was not doing a good job of spraying and passed over the neck to many times on my way around. I have changed my spraying technique and I should be ok from here on out. I am finally getting the hang of the HVLP gun with a water based paint. I am still not getting good atomization need to work on it more.

P4150092.jpg P4150098.jpg

I also spent some time fixing up my compressor with a dryer and a filter to help keep moisture from messing up the water based paint.

Another lesson. Do not touch the stuff with water for 150 Hours or more. I made the mistake of wet sanding the guitar after a few days of hanging and it turned to a mess.

Another note. The can says to clean the surface with denatured alcohol. Do not use Denatured Alcohol on this finish as it will melt. They meant use denatured alcohol BEFORE putting any coats of clear on it.

Dry sanding has been a pain but it is the only safe way to scuff and level between days of spraying.

Here is the process so far.
1 coat of sanding sealer and let sit for hour.
1 more coat of sanding sealer and leave for a few days.
Sand out all the nibs with 400 then 600
4 coats and hour apart a day then let sit.
The next day scuff and leveled any runs with 600.
repeat.

Buffed out and ready for assembly. Turned out ok after I got the hang of the Target Coatings.

P5020271.jpg

P5020272.jpg

P5020273.jpg

P5020274.jpg

And scene. Man that was an involved build. It also is the guitar that started the company and the S9 series. Luckily it is here in town and it comes to visit once and a while. One of my favorite builds of all time.

Hope everyone appreciates it!

Cheers!

--RAD

I like seeing that again.It reminds me I have to do better

Thanks Wes. Your builds inspire me to do better.

I think the rest of my serious build threads are intact. Maybe the flourescent RG and Destroyer are the only other damaged threads someone might be ingerested in.

It has been entertaining to be reminded how you builds have evolved over the last few years. It was a shock to see how thick the top and body on this was to begin with. After watching the last couple of years, I'd have sworn you never did one that thick..........and I followed this build when you did it. I love the carve and rear contours. And that top is awesome, great figure.

Thanks for returning this one as well.

SR

This one was definitely a trip down memory lane. By the time I quit building in the mid 90s I was only building really thin fixed bridge simple guitars. Then when I started back building in 2004 it was like I went back to the 80s to build copies of my favorite guitars I could never afford. This was the first step back to what I believed in as a builder (it had to be thick enough to get a tremolo in). After this build I decided to pick up where I left off in the 90s and do things my way.

Not sure how I got anything done without all my cool tools!