Metal Tele \M/K3

Ok guys, For my new \M/etal tele ive come up with this design with the help of kisakae

Here is the design

This is the \M/K3 in my metal tele series. Its going to boast a 24 fret ebony neck, fully scalloped 1/8. white korina ((if i can get it )) body. partially rear and partially front routed and contours for added comfort. Black washburn wonderbar bridge. Kramer hockey headstock/neck. Black schallers. 3 ply pickguard etc. ive decided that i would go for a sustainer system not sure if it will be a sustainiac or a fernandes yet but when i finish my \M/K2 tele i should know what i want. and Some sort of pickup in the bridge.

A few questions, Wheres a good distrubuter of 1 or 2 peice high grade white korina? one that i can buy direct on the net preferably.

Whats the general advantages of the sustainiac over the fernandes sustainer?

What is the most craziest highest output pickup available on the market today?

would having a true 24 fret ((not extended)) neck effect the scale length of the tele? ((Btw the headstock will not be angled))

Could i use a coil tap mounted in the tone control to switch on the sustainer rather then a micro switch ? (( i find these particulary offensive to my eyes))

cheers

i think its a cool idea tho im not so much of a fan of the Kramer hockeystick headstock, but thats just personal preference tho.

if you do get the sustainer then using a push/pull pot instead of the microswitch would be easy (coiltapping is not the name of those types of pots but its what they're normally used for)

the scale length won't be affected by how you design the neck, as long as you design the body to work with it. So you wouldn't be able to use a standard tele body with a true 24-fret neck.

personally, I think that the kramer pointy headstock would work better with a metal tele, but that's just me. I think there's a pic of a tele-like creation at vintagekramer.com, but I'm not sure.

also, about the pickup, look for more than just high output. high output isn't fun if it's all mud. My suggestion would be EMGs. but then again, I don't know what you're gonna be playing.

well d'uh.

is there a rule 'a tele must be a tele'? jeez man

you said you liked BLS - what has Zakk done to his LP then? it sounds nothing like a normal LP should........ so?

the man likes a tele shape, but wants a metal machine, so whats the problem?

dude telecasters are for blues and jazz. undistorted blues and jazz. that is what they are mainly used for. but people use them for rock...etc. but the neck pickup of the tele is notoriously bell like and clean.

:D Saints preserve us, Snorkie's joined the Guitar Police - I guess he wasn't born yet when Page cut all those Tele solos on Led Zeppelin albums. Dude, how'd you get so inflexible at such a tender age?

Asomodai, go 'head on - I like the banana headstock on a Tele, it's pleasingly irreverent. And, yes, you could use push-pulls to control the sustainer, but I think youd need two switches, on-off and mode select. The only thing I don't like about my Fernandes sustainer is the lame-a** guitar they put it in. It might respond a little slower than the Sustaniac, but I can't verify that, I've never A/B'd 'em. You can get Limba (Korina is a madeup Gibson word) at Gallery, Gilmer (but they've got a $100 minimum), and A&M Wood Specialties, among others. And Wes can probably aim you at the hottest pickups in the world! Build on, brother.

Why a tele body ? i first started playing on a telecaster, it was great im used to them and i love the look, the weight of them etc. My first tele has been modded with a seymour duncan hot rails which is also coil tapped to keep its twang. ive installed a midi system into it, replaced the nut etc.

I dont mind paying so much for whatever wood as long as its good quality i earn a decent amount of money and i dont mind paying extra for good wood.

it would make sense to use a lp body for this project or a superstrat, but i never am comfortable with a big slab of wood like the lp. and superstrats are way to light in my opinion.

I dont mind the pickups sounding muddy. nothing a good eq wont sort out. im asking for the highest gain pup on the market. like, the kent armstrong motherbucker the dimarzio x2n etc. well couldnt i tap the volume as well as the tone pot? to activate the sustainer?

cheers

steve morse used to play a tele... clean and dirty and loud and quiet etc.

Why a tele body ? i first started playing on a telecaster, it was great im used to them and i love the look, the weight of them etc.

Awright, cuz, testify! :D

well couldnt i tap the volume as well as the tone pot? to activate the sustainer?

Oh, definitely - didn't mean to imply that it wouldn't work, only that you'd need two switches.

i really like your idea of metal tele. besides, Devin Townsend of Strapping Young Lad has been using ESP Telecasters loaded with EMG 81 for over a decade, so what's the problem? in my opinion, you can get any guitar shape, use a low tone sounding wood for the body [Limba or Mahogany] and then load them up with high output humbuckers and you can't go wrong in terms of a metal guitar. so by all means, go for it dude!

i think [but i could be wrong] you will not find a pickup more powerful than a Mastertone SPA-4. they are Australian and quite pricey, but since you earn good money <ahttp://www.projectguitar.com/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png' alt=':D'> i think you should consider them. Mastertone - Humbuckers just scroll down untill you see SUPA PHAT ASS.

i really like your idea of metal tele. besides, Devin Townsend of Strapping Young Lad has been using ESP Telecasters loaded with EMG 81 for over a decade, so what's the problem? in my opinion, you can get any guitar shape, use a low tone sounding wood for the body [Limba or Mahogany] and then load them up with high output humbuckers and you can't go wrong in terms of a metal guitar. so by all means, go for it dude!

i think [but i could be wrong] you will not find a pickup more powerful than a Mastertone SPA-4. they are Australian and quite pricey, but since you earn good money <ahttp://www.projectguitar.com/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png' alt=':D'> i think you should consider them. Mastertone - Humbuckers just scroll down untill you see SUPA PHAT ASS.

I thought he played Gibson explorers

i think you are getting confused with ESP Explorer:

tour02.jpg

<<< that's Dev's guitar of choice.

devguitar12.jpg

he has 3 Explorers: 2 black ones and a white one.

his ESP Tele's can be seen live now, rarely. only when he tours Canada and Japan he uses one of his newest guitars, an ESP Telecasters with a quilted maple top loaded with 81's - i don't have the pic of that, but back in the day he did use EMG loaded ESP Teles all the time:

flyer02.jpg

devguitar10.jpg

<<< trust me they are all ESP - 1 black one with white binding and a white one shown below. when i say back in the days, i meant when he was in the Wildhearts with Vai and early S.Y.L. he even used ESP Horizons.

devguitar07.jpg

misc14.jpg

Devy has always been strictly an ESP user. he has never played Gibson Explorers in S.Y.L. the closest a Gibson has ever got to S.Y.L. was when Jed used an SG in the "Heavy as... " days - and i can't find the pic of that because the site is down at the moment. he told me this at a store sign in, S.Y.L. toured Australia last year in September.