Original's '14

Well, you're having fun making a nice looking guitar. Did you airbrush that burst?

SR

Thanks Scott, It's airbrushed. I tried hand applying it, but didn't like the results as well. Putting finish on has always been my Achilles' Heel. I'm trying to change that. Most of the woodwork I can do without anxiety, but I'll lose sleep thinking about finishing.

I think airbrushing is the way to go for a burst. I like to spray the dye on the wood as you've done here and then again as a tint during the clear coating process. The thing about finishing is there are very few things you can do to screw it up that cannot be repaired. Sandpaper is the universal eraser.

SR

I think airbrushing is the way to go for a burst. I like to spray the dye on the wood as you've done here and then again as a tint during the clear coating process. The thing about finishing is there are very few things you can do to screw it up that cannot be repaired. Sandpaper is the universal eraser.

SR

The airbrush was for sure the most controllable. I like that the solution won't dry out in the gun, and the easy cleanup. I really do need to spend some time honing my skills with it though.

Honeyburst is one of the prettiest and most underrated finishes around. You've got such a cheeky vintage vibe with that and cream binding.

Thanks Stu. I had to force myself to do something other than black trim. I'm not real happy with the way the cream pickup covers look though. They seem to have a pinkish tint when compared to the finish.

• 2 weeks later...

I still think that you've done a great job with the cream and vintage vibe. It'll really come alive when you get some pickups and hardware in there... maybe in time for GOTM? ;)

Are you still unsure about your cream pickup covers? You could definitely pull-off black covers with this one.

I still think that you've done a great job with the cream and vintage vibe. It'll really come alive when you get some pickups and hardware in there... maybe in time for GOTM? ;)

Are you still unsure about your cream pickup covers? You could definitely pull-off black covers with this one.

Thanks Stu, I'm liking the way this one's coming out. Some of the aspects of the construction were new to me, but overall I'm very excited with my results. I don't know about GOTM, but thanks for the nice words.

I'll probably try some cover's from a different maker. Hopefully I can find some that aren't so pinkish. First I'm going to try to tint these by submerging them in some dye. I've done it before with pickguard's with decent results.

Meanwhile... The next one in queue is going to be a Bass. my inspiration was a Univox Hi-Flyer (Moserite Copy) that a friend brought by last week.

univoxbass_zpsd4e0976c.jpg

Mine's going to have a maple top on a one piece mahogany body, and a one piece walnut neck. These are a short scale, 30 1/4". I think this will be a fun project.

My progress so far.

mosebass1_zps0169c230.jpg

I like your burst. It has a nice shape, matching the body with a nice transition between colors.

I think gold hardware might look very nice with this but either way I look forward to the finished product.

Thank You. This is all new territory for me, but I'm excited with my results, and I'm anxious to try it again. I bet it would look nice with gold hardware. It's a little late for that. I did get gold speed knobs for it though.

Meanwhile, the Mose bass is moving along.

mosebass5_zps51b56677.jpg

mosebass6_zpsa55ddcdd.jpg

mosebass7_zps8cb9bcfb.jpg

mosebass10_zpsfad2a18f.jpg

mosebass9_zps9bff51a1.jpg

mosebass8_zps71fd151b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wow, It's been a while since I updated here. I had a setback with the double cutaway guitar. The finish cracked. I tried repairing it once by sanding it back about 75%, and re-shooting. It looked great for about 2 weeks before some of the cracks returned. I ended up going back to bare wood, and starting over.

The colors in the original burst that I did seemed to clash with cream color of the pickup covers. It made them appear pinkish which wasn't good. From the start of the re-do, I knew that I'd be using a different palette of tint colors that would be more harmonious. I also decided to go to a little more subdued approach with the tints.

For the base tint, I used a diluted yellow with a very small amount of red in it. The second color around the edge has just a bit more red. I hand applied it this time. Keeping things wet I worked the color in gradually from the edge inwards. It's subtle, almost indistinguishable in the pictures. I think it fit's this guitar better, and the cover's instead of clashing, coordinate well. If the weather permits, I'll spray the final coats today.

lavinnewtop_zpsd7af96a5.jpg

lavinnewtop3_zps18b9844d.jpg

The solid walnut neck for the bass is almost done. The consistent density of the American walnut makes it a luxury to machine when building necks. This is the first time I've used it. I can't wait to try it on a guitar. I'm such a minimalist. I know that there's nothing remarkable about them, but one piece necks seem so elegant, and simple at the same time. This one is looking good so far. I'm anxious to see it with finish on it.

mosebassbench_zpsd5fe8440.jpg

mosebasscarve_zps4e84e580.jpg

mosebassonepieceneck_zpsd389e747.jpg

mosebassfrets_zps3fac0f74.jpg

• 3 months later...

Once again, it's been a while since an update. I didn't have much free time for a couple of months. I've completed the double cut. For those who weren't following, it's a maple over mahogany, sapele neck, cumara fingerboard thing.

lav1_zps228f97ef.jpg

lav2_zps4adedb19.jpg

I've begun the finish on the mose bass.

mosebasssecondcoat2_zpsec45095e.jpg

mosebasssecondcoat_zpsa3f52d14.jpg

And, I started on a DC Junior this week.

juniorbench_zps65633747.jpg

juniorbench3_zps58a4d5f0.jpg

juniorbench2_zps5ab88e22.jpg

• Like 1

Well, this is my first ever post and I have to say that I really like how that double cutaway turned out. It looks classy.

Thank You, and Welcome to the forums.

The Junior moved forward. I planed the body, sanded, and rounded the edges. I finished the neck taper, and gave he head stock some shape.

chance01_zpse2f03690.jpg

I recently built a small vacuum table for molding pickup covers. I've been wanting to try this for years, and now I'm kicking myself for waiting so long.

vac02_zpsa6db145b.jpg

vac01_zps7785c3f7.jpg

doggy04_zpsf4092e91.jpg

• Like 1

Nice little vacuum thingy. Do you place it in an oven all together or do you heat the plastic with a hat gun? Or I might just say +1 to Chris...

The whole process is pretty simple. My research amounted to a couple of 'how-to' articles, and youtube vid's. Basically, all that is done is to mount the thermoplastic in a frame, then heat it to a workable temperature, place the frame with the soft plastic over the 'form', and apply the vacuum to pull the material down around it. The learning curve is short. I was making usable covers with my first efforts. The experiment was inexpensive, but quite rewarding.

I heat the plastic in the oven at 375* for about five minutes. It cools very quickly, so you have to work fast.

There are small vacuum tables available on ebay etc. I built mine from scrap.

Material is cheap. I bought a 4' x 8' x 1/16" sheet of black ABS for $21 from a local plastics supplier.

No comments on the guitar's? :unsure:

• 5 weeks later...

The last one of these went to my Daughter's boyfriend. (the blonde double cut) This one's mine! I really liked the other one, and had a hard time giving it up. It'll be a tobacco burst with black plastics.

stan01_zps5dad18a2.jpg

tobacco01_zps26222b97.jpg

The finish on the Junior, and the bass is stalled right now. I don't want to spray lacquer in this high humidity. Damn these monsoons!

chanceupdate_zps7297282d.jpg

I've got five guitars in different stages of progress. It makes for a big pile of necks.

necks_zps66ec8ed6.jpg

As usual, Elvis the cat is on the workbench.

elvistable_zps3ad3f869.jpg

This one's mine! I really liked the other one, and had a hard time giving it up.

Yeah........

SR

Yeah! I'm using a bunch of re-cycled parts on this one, and the wood I selected except for the neck was about the least attractive on the pile, so I've got plenty of excuses to keep it. I need a demo guitar for P-90's, and this one should be well suited. Plus, it's been a while since I made one for myself.

The weather is supposed to dry out here in the next couple of days, so I'll be able to proceed with finishes.

I was commiserating with you. I miss the one I sent home with my son not so long ago....

SR

Ahh.. I got you. Justin's is definitely a stunner. You did some great work there. The thread was fun to follow.

I do need another P-90 guitar. Currently the only one I have is my Jr. The Junior was the first one I ever built from scratch in '07. It's a cool guitar, but limited.

Junior2_zpsc3730ef2.jpg

I was commiserating with you. I miss the one I sent home with my son not so long ago....

SR

Ahh.. I got you. Justin's is definitely a stunner. You did some great work there. The thread was fun to follow.

I do need another P-90 guitar. Currently the only one I have is my Jr. The Junior was the first one I ever built from scratch in '07. It's a cool guitar, but limited.

Junior2_zpsc3730ef2.jpg

That is a cool guitar.

A P-90 in the neck position is one of my favorite sounds, so yeah, you gotta build another.

SR