Resurrecting My First Build

I decide to fix my first build up a little. The neck came out really nice, but the body got screwed up when my template slipped and I didn’t realize it until it was a little too late. I tried to fill it a little with epoxy and paint, but it still looked pretty bad. At that point I really just wanted to get it strung up and try it out, so I called it good and put it together.

It plays awesome, but every time I look at the pickup routes it made me cringe…

Here it is all completed the first time….

IMG]http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s454/ZR20091/Seven%20String%20Build/014_zpsda86b06d.jpg

018_zpsc036f510.jpg

020_zps3ac77d64.jpg

029_zpsb765d6b5.jpg

016_zps042a70a3.jpg

011_zps44c5c532.jpg

So on goes a nice Flamed Maple top a bit over 1/4" thick

Had to bend the top around the arm contour with a little steam and clamping. Took awhile, but it does work... You really have to pay attention to the edges and make sure they are super straight and sharp to get the glue join tight enough so it doesn't look like crap...

003_zps499bd290.jpg

032_zps796a8893.jpg

031_zps344663ea.jpg

035_zps5b92d69f.jpg

045_zpse6b250bc.jpg

Sweet project. That's a nice top and you did a great job of folding it over the forearm relief and joining all the edges cleanly. I see we've got another one eyed stare going here. :D

What is your plan for the neck pocket to bring everything up to the new level of your bridge?

SR

HAHA! Thanks man... I really like the way the eye turned out :D

The good news is I really don't have to do anything with the neck pocket.

I made the neck pocket with about a 2 deg angle, but I didn't route it quite deep enough, so I originally had to shim the front of the pocket to get the bridge to work with the saddles raised about as high as they would go. I figure with the extra 1/4" and no shim it should be good to go...

Nice work on the re-do. Very clean. The bend is impressive.

Thanks! It took a ton of patience to get it right, something I often struggle with very much...

Started the dye job tonight...

I put a few coats of wipe on poly on the edges to keep them clean for the faux binding...

Started with dark brown to block back to highlight the grain...

006_zps4393b42e.jpg

After blocking back with 100, 220, and 600 I hit it with some purple.... Think this is the right color, I think it turned out great, the flame really pops out in person...

This weird shape came out behind the bridge, looks like a head with wings coming out of it :blink:

009_zps6cafe44d.jpg

012_zps70499f8c.jpg

Thanks guys!

First thing I thought of was a bat flying... Makes it a little more interesting anyway

Here is the final color... decided I wanted it a little darker and I think it matches with the natural Mahogany color a little better.

Now I have a week or so to change my mind before the clear I ordered gets here :blink:

The faux binding came out really clean, wipe on poly is definitely the way to go. Much easier than taping or/and spraying clear... Pretty easy to remove as well

002_zps43065b0d.jpg

Edited by Sancho Marino

• 1 month later...

I burned through the clear coat on my final buffing run and decided to just strip it... all the way :blink:

Decided to leave it natural and do a Danish oil finish...Got some time to work on her today and I'm finally done!

I wasn't sure about leaving the headstock Mahogany, but I really like it. It has a sort of yin and yang feel opposite of the body...

022_zps6e378c2a.jpg

016_zps304e6086.jpg

018_zps8a3cc4c0.jpg

Edited by Sancho Marino

Looks good that way too.

SR

Thanks Scott... I'm pretty happy with it. Spent a lot of time playing it last night and she's a keeper. Can't really believe how well the neck came out for a first time build. The action is right where I like it at 2mm @ the 24th on the B and 1.8mm on the high E with no buzzing at all. Hell it even intonated right :blink:

Shame this isn't three guitars. It looked cool in all three stages!

Thanks! I really loved the darker purple, should have just slapped some Danish Oil on at that point. But I think it looks awesome natural too so it all worked out