Ibanez grg 170 Dx conversion to "order of the dracul"

Hi guys,
So i started this topic to show you my progress with this little project of mine.
I had my first guitar, an ibanez grg 170dx, and i wanted to try to do some things with it.
First thing i wanted to try was to make a carved top, and a neck heel.
I will be posting more photos soon, first off is a pic i found online.
2mfxh0.jpg
Nothing special but i will explain everything as soon i start posting progress pics
Boeba

That's probably the best thing you can do to those bottom of the range Ibbys. Good for practice and as routing templates to make one from better woods :-)

How are you going to deal with the carve knocking through the switch and control locations?

How are you going to deal with the carve knocking through the switch and control locations?

good question.. I'll be facing a similar issue in a build because I changed my mind after having routed the control cavity. My plan is to flood the cavity with resin cast epoxy in the potentially affected corner, angling the guitar such that the epoxy pool is only in that corner. I'll be adding veneer later anyway.

Could work here too if this is going to be painted..

That's probably the best thing you can do to those bottom of the range Ibbys. Good for practice and as routing templates to make one from better woods :-)

For now, i just go over the area and will fix it with a new piece of wood, wich wil be shaped later on.

The carving is starting to form, pics will follow today.

Hi guys,
So here's a new update on the ibanez.
So i started the top carve, i filled 2 of the pickup holes, going for a single pickup-setup.
As you can see i already put a piece of wood in the control cavity, the hole will be filled properly later on.
1q0tjd.jpg
35i855t.jpg
1zq4h6r.jpg
If you look at the pic with the red overpaint-lines, you can see what i did.
254zz8m.jpg
New updates will follow for the guitar itself.
I also wanted to share a first sketch of my idea explaining the name "order of the dracul".
i wanted to tell the story about dracula beheading christ.
I'm a big fan of dracula so i decided to try to paint the top of the guitar. usual, i'm not a big fan of graphic style guitars, but i have an idea wich i think could be cool.
Inspired by painters like bosch and grunewald.
104rk92.jpg
Please keep in mind this is just a sketch.(10 cm wide) so the final drawing will have to be MUCH better!!!
Tonight i will draw a first full size version of this.
Boeba

Hi guys,

So i made a first full size draft of the drawing.

2zg5hee.jpg

Next image is to see if it fits the guitar, and if the best parts of the drawing don't get covered by volume knobs, pickup placing,...

As you can see the best way to position the drawing is by holding the guitar vertical, if i do it horizontal, the drawing doesn't fit that wel, so i decided to go for this approach.

Next step is to reconfigure some parts of the drawing, so the head of christ is on the best position, just as dracula's.

2889sic.jpg

Boeba

Hi ScottR

I have a background of traditional sculpting/art/drawing.

I have a company together with 2 friends

http://umbracg.com/

We provide 3d visuals for commercials and print. So we often have to draw character designs or other stuff.

Just a little side note on the drawing itself. To optimize the composition of the drawing i am thinking about dracula holding christ his head instead of impaling it on a sword.

(i would place christ his head above the knobs instead of beneath it.)

Next update.

----------------

28mjrmb.jpg

Next image is a block i made to make a kind of neck heel.(to make it look like a neck through

First i sculpted a mold of the existing heel of the guitar with plastiline.(some kind of clay.)

I then used this negative piece of clay to shape the inside of the block.

r1zm07.jpg

Next image is the block glued on the guitar.

34i3jgz.jpg

The next step is to make the final neck heel shape, to make it look like a neck through.

I know this is fake, but i just like the shape of it. It's just going to be a cosmetic alteration, nothing more.

Boeba

A few of these procedures seem to go against "normal woodworking best practice" however I think your focus is more on the form of the end product? For example, it would have been better to rout out the controls and splice in a perfectly-fitting piece of wood. The faux-through neck will always show itself as being false because the different woods will move differently between the seasons, showing seams, etc.

Certainly an interesting piece of work on the neck mould though!

Bruges eh? Lovely place.

Hi Prostheta,
You're absolutely right about the techniques i am using, it's probably a bit strange to see what i'm doing with a guitar.
The only thing i'm scared off is cracking of the different pieces , just like you said.
And you're right about my goal, i just want to make a nice looking shape.
Next update
-----------
As you can see in the pics below i started to shape the fake neck heel. I also filled in the bolt-on holes.(don't know how you call them)
25ai25w.jpg
1218wuf.jpg
xpok8.jpg
rtgunq.jpg
My main goal is to get smooth transitions between the different shapes.
I also ordered a new pickup(emg 81), since my old ones are used in an old stagg flying v.
Next updates will follow.
Boeba

I have a background of traditional sculpting/art/drawing.

I have a company together with 2 friends

Very cool. My favorite job I ever had involved drawing with pen and ink all day.....but I went broke doing it and had to go find something not as fun but better paying. Best of luck in your venture.

SR

• Like 1

thanks guys, Drawing is one of my passions, ever since i was young, so it's kinda cool i can now combine my two passions, (guitar and art/drawing )

into one guitar.

Today my emg 81 came in, looks cool to see it unassembled.(i already have one in another guitar)

Update on the guitar itself.

---------------------------------

Sanded away the primer/resin on the guitar. My god, it was pure torture, first i thought it was the wood itself, but as i scratched the surface, it seemed this was some kind of resin layer about 1 mm.

2dqk5zt.jpg

fw292q.jpg

That's it for today.

Boeba

"Horn", appropriately enough. Agreed on the low-angle light. I think ScottR and sdshirtman would be the first to chime in on this point other than myself also.

Since you have done so much modification to the shape - adding in materials here and there - when you get around to paint, ensure that you have more spare primer on hand. The first coat will reveal any inconsistencies that the current form will hide. A lot of that primer will need re-applying after sanding it back to perfect the shaping.

Hi ScottR, i think i will use oilpaint, because of the way you can paint with it.

Next update

---------------

So this weekend i applied 2 primers. The first one was in gray, just to cover the guitar in one solid color. When this layer was applied, i smoothed everything out, fixed little holes and dents. After this i applied a second primer.

As you can see, i allready installed the emg.(just a test fit, nothing is connected.

25tg382.jpg

f2m3cw.jpg

1zxt6v4.jpg

Greetings,

Boeba

Hi guys,

So today i made a small sketch for a new design of the drawing. Since the previous one wasn't designed properly for pickup placement, i made a new one.

This time i made a vertical design, since this is the best placement for my main characters, dracula and jebus. As you can see this is just a sketch, and as soon as i have a decent scan, i will place the old drawing from dracula on top of this layout, and then print this out with light opacity, so i can then make my final design on top of the new layout.

(hope this makes sense.)

28wfd4i.jpg

Greetings,

Boeba

Owyeah, almost forgot to mention i installed my new emg pickup, and everything works perfect, good sound, no problems or anything. As soon as i start painting the top of the guitar, i will take everything out, so it doesn't get messy.

Edited by boeba

So today i placed my old drawing over the "vertical design" template. I also did some photoshop painting, like cleaning up the teeth, tongue and other stuff.

My next step is to print this drawing with low opacity, and then i will redraw this drawing as a final.

I'm happy with the placing of everything, both heads are visible in the composition.

a40v36.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

So here is the final drawing.

The scan itself isn't that great but i can work with it.

The plan is to trace this drawing on my guitar. Hopefullly i can manage to do it this weekend, but first i have to paint the guitar with a basic oilpaint layer to start with a clean canvas.

Owyeah, most of the details like wrinkles, skinfolds and stuff like that will be added in the final paint.

mcq9o4.jpg

Greetings,

Boeba

Edited by boeba

• 3 weeks later...