Build #5 - PRS type hardtail

This was my 5th build. Nearly identical to my 4th build other than this one being a hardtail. I did this one as a 40th birthday present for my brother. He was excited to get it.

I enjoyed doing this one because I did it in 6 weeks, which is pretty fast since I only have an hour or two a day for building. It was especially fun since this was the first time I repeated a build, so that:

1) I had all the templates and didn't spend all my time making new jigs.

2) I could redo some small mistakes I made on the first one.

Overall, a good experience. My finishing has a long way to go. Here are the specs:

Maple top

Chambered mahogony body

Set neck

Rosewood fretboard with zero fret

Locking tuners, roller bridge

Grain matched cavity cover (same piece of wood) with magnets

Alnico V Humbuckers (tried some cheapo Belcats on this one, not a big fan, will probably swap them out)

Tru-oil finish

14476539545_d07f6f2ebc.jpg

14453436176_3ac1aba675.jpg

14475338504_872413a165.jpg

14475230222_ed913fc31f.jpg

Clean looking guitar. The back (cap?) looks bookmatched with that semi-hidden control cavity really is a nice touch.

I can't tell if it's a back cap or not, but if it isn't did you use a method similar to the one shown here which I think is pretty slick: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/266594-making-grain-matched-control-covers.html ?

It's a solid mahogany back, no cap.

I definitely borrowed the method from someone on here. Just route a cavity in the mahogany from the top until the remaining wood is the desired cover thickness. Then drill a small hole and feed through anthin scroll saw blade. Cut out the cover, then install a lip to catch the cover and embed magnets on the cover and lip.

Hope that made sense. I actually find this method faster than trying to make a perfect fitting cover from other wood. Thin blade scroll saw is the key.

The back wood is not bookmatched at all, just got a little lucky with the grains.