vol pot = tone pot?

StreamLine

well i'm an idiot for asking this, but better be an idiot for 5 minutes than to never know........

well ok, i've been looking at warmoth etc, and they dont offer 'volume' and 'tone' pots, they just have pots.

1)is that because they are the same, but because the 'tone' has a capacitor fitted across it, this makes it change the signal, as opposed to filtering it out altogether?

or is warmoth just being confusing?

*(1b)on this note, if they ARE different, how is that so?

2) also has anyone had any experience with 1meg pots? i'm thinking of replacing my 500k's with them on my 1st project (its a superstrat with DiM Evo's) to get an even bigger crunchier sound...... good idea?

3) also how would they work on a 7 string guitar?

thanks,

Roman

I asked the same uestion alittle while back and this is basically the response i got:

Turned fully clockwise or anti-clockwise, a linear pot(tone) will sound exactly the same as a logarithmic pot (volume). When you think about, a log and linear pot of 500k rating will both be 500k when turned all the way up and when turned all the way 'down' that must be zero resistance hence they must sound the same at those extremes.

The difference is the pot is how they to that max. or min. resistance, a log pot will reach its extremes alot quicker than a linear pot. In simple terms, it would appear that the linear (tone) pot, will allow finer tuning of the tone of your sound.

a pot is a pot. the way they are wired is the difference. dont worry about it. just pick up a pot at any old place. then wire it as instructed.

right on, so wood is wood, just grab the first peice of wood that you find on a beach or laying on a road, shape it out like a guitar and you're good to go!!!! :D

not quite...

sorry snork, couldn't resist, like fidgac said, linear is a bit better for fine tuning, and his diagrams show why.... one is a constant change, where as log kinda jumps from one extream to another, so if you like to have your tone set at 5, it would be much harder with a log pot to fine tune that tone at 5

You can use linear or log (audio) taper pots for either volume or tone pots. Higher resistance pots will bleed off less high end than lower resistance pots. They shouldn't have any effect on bass response. Most people prefer log pots for volume knobs because they approximate (some closer than others) the way your ear reacts to sound pressure, ie. ten times the power is perceived as twice as loud. As for 7-strings, basses use the same pots as guitars, so no change necessary there. If you want a darker sound, use a lower resistance pot - if you want it brighter, use a 1Meg. Going much below 250K lowers the signal level too much, and going much above 1Meg causes noise and RFI problems.

250K pots are commonly used for single coil volume and tone

but if a humbucker is introduced (fat strat) or just humbuckers, a 500k pot is typically used for the volume, and a 250K for tone.

Some people, typically who use high-gain pickups and amps may use 1 Meg or even 2 Meg pots, that let the high frequencies fly.

• 2 weeks later...

pots also change the impedance load of a guitar which is why they sound different with different values a 1M pot will have a cleaner purer sound to it.. as far as teh bleed off goes.. personally iuse 1M lin in everything