3rd Guitar - Single Cut Aero Paul

Well, I am not finished with the Tele yet and I've already started ordering on the next one. The local music chain has allowed me three slots on their wall but they recommend filling all three so there isn't just one random guitar in between all the CNC stamp outs. So I've been waiting to do this one for a while. It won't be a carved top but rather a taper like a Fender Aerodyne. I tooled around in Photoshop today and am 99% on this design.

Alder body, 1/4" maple cap

Master grade flamed set-neck to be finished PRS Private Stock style

Inlay from DePaule

Schaller Hannes bridge

Singlecut%20proto%203.jpg

I'm installing my second one of those in my current build. They are indeed sleek and comfy and sweet looking. They could use a bit more length in the intonation screws. I recommend setting the scale line on the template a couple mms north of the scale length to save room for the low E intonation.

SR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got summoned from my laziness and tooled around with this one today. I cut out the body template last week and did my best to make sure it was flawless. I loved the way some of y'all laminate the scarf joint so I decided to go for it on the most expensive piece of maple I had. If it crashes and burns it will be a glorious spectacle of failure. That's how I roll. Anyway, I did the cut on the bandsaw before sticking it in my high tech 13 degree scarf planing router jig. Then I just smoothed it out a bit more with 220 on a block of MDF.

IMG_4726.jpg

It works really well

IMG_4727.jpg

I went for a three ply "Oreo" with wenge-maple-wenge

IMG_4728.jpg

And glued it up with another high tech jig

IMG_4729.jpg

Also cut out some of the body and glued ears on it because Im cheap. Apparently I also like to risk myself and my work to take photos of this stuff. No shame....

IMG_4730.jpg

IMG_4732.jpg

That's all for today. I can hear the beer calling my name. Enjoy Mother's Day!

Veneer swelling and distorting because of water from the glue? Don't be too embarrassed. We've all done that...

I sugest using epoxy to laminate the three pieces of veneer to avoid water in those joints. And then maybe I could have used titebond for the final glue up when the wood sandwich were a bit thicker or I might have used epoxy also for the head joint. If you use titebond for the veneers you need to make sure you have good clamping pressure over the total area, using rigid clamping cauls and lots of clamps, also for small areas. The power in the veneer when being wetted by water is significant.

If you have enough wood left lengthwise (for the neck) it shouldn't be a problem to cut the joint open, re-plane the surfaces, redo our favourite cookie with epoxy, and glue everything up again.

Wow! That ends that head scratcher. Water in the glue, huh? That makes sense. Any recommendation on epoxy? I am about to place a Stewmac order. Maybe their slow setting epoxy?

@Scott - I was thinking about trying to find some knobs that look like little milk glasses. WWOCCD? (What Would Orange County Choppers Do) <_<

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...