Knightro Guitars 2016

Thank you! 

I'm going to use 0.125"x0.325" pultruded rods from Dragonplate, found here. This will be my first time using carbon fiber as a neck reinforcement, so I don't think I'm qualified to offer advice on what suppliers to pick. I've heard good things about Dragonplate's quality from a few reputable builders, so I decided to give them a go.

And thanks for chiming in @curtisa, I was actually just about to suggest that he contact you.

Sure. I'm unsure on whether the import duty percentage is less on wood finishing products or "personal lubricants". :nanananananananananaPIRATE:

I think it'll look great on Wengé. The only thing I've noticed is that some oils and finishes reduce the contrast between the early and latewood growth ring colours. I can hardly see that being an issue with yours if that's how it looks under spirits.

I don't find wenge terribly difficult to work, it just takes a bit of consideration and understanding of its properties. The grain is very coarse and absolutely will tear out if you don't follow it properly. There's a big difference in hardness between the light and dark wood so blocks are necessary at all times when sanding. The splinters do tend to be pretty painful, though I haven't gotten one in a while.

Overall, if you have a bit of a plan and pay attention to how it's reacting as you work, you'll be fine! This is actually pretty true for any wood (exotic or otherwise) you'll come across...just spend a little bit of time learning and test on scraps before digging in to your actual project. A bit of forethought and knowledge makes everything work better.

Side note: as a result of steaming apart several wenge items, I now know that hot wenge smells like a slightly burnt chocolate croissant. 

• Like 1

The problem with the splinters is that they don't go in or come out cleanly. That leaves debris in your wetbag which your blood happily throws a protest over. I think it's great on necks. I love the coarse texture because your hand hangs up less. Great for laminations too in terms of their contribution to the neck response.

Yes! As Carl says, wenge feels great as a neck and it has a very vibrant and responsive feel in terms of transmitting vibrations. 

I actually prefer the look of quartered wenge to flat in neck lams, but the opposite for a top.... which I suppose is pretty apparent when you look at this guitar!

Mmm chocolate croissants... 

Ah ok hopefully when my wenge top arrives it won't be hard to work with. I do like quarter sawn for the necks. They have a nice, straight appearance. Thanks for the input guys! 

Also I've not seen anyone do this but what do you think of grain filling wenge with a light grain filler? Imagine the contrast! 

@SIMpleONe89 Any time! Just take your time and everything will work out fine. Also, I've not tried a light grain fill on wenge, but it could look interesting... do a test and post some pics!

@2.5itim Padauk is brittle, but not super coarse-grained like wenge. I'd say wenge is a bit worse to deal with in that regard. Not horrible though.

New wood day! I got a great deal on this huge maple board and purpleheart body blank. Both of these will be used in my headless 8 series. 

IMG_20160501_182936_zpsqfesmff6.jpg

• Like 2