Knightro Guitars 2016

Just now, KnightroExpress said:

Thank you!

That switch slot is the result of drilling out as much as I could with a 1/16" drill bit and then very carefully cleaning the remainder out with a tiny file. Once the bulk was out, I had to fine tune for the switch throw to work properly. After spending about two hours swearing at a small slot, I went and designed a jig to make it much easier next time :rolleyes:

Ah I did that too. It took a long time and I may also create a jig!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the utility aspect is there... I'm generating these models in preparation for an eventual (probably not any time soon) transition into the CNC world. They're totally accurate and to scale, based on my CAD blueprints. Fusion 360 is able to generate toolpaths and export Gcode, so I'm considering this a worthwhile time investment. Plus, y'know, pretty pictures.

It appears you marked everything out with a laser. The edges look cooked too, did you cut it to size with a laser as well?

And I know I say it all the time, but every time I look at a multi-scale fretboard from the viewpoint of your second shot, it looks twisted. The perspective plays with my eyes, it does.:blink:

SR

You're exactly right- this is still warm, right out of the laser.

With my last set of templates, I noticed that the etched centerlines were deep enough that I could get positive engagement with a feather file. That got me thinking.....could I use laser etched lines as a guide for cutting fret slots? So basically the plan is: use my feather file to follow the lines, which should make them easy enough to follow with my fret saw. I had a tester made in Richlite, which I'll be messing around with before I try it on the maple. 

I'm guessing that you covered it with a masking tape before cutting too? Looks good. Curious to know what sort of kerf you ended up with, and whether cooking the end grain has a deleterious effect on fret retention....then again, you're cutting them deep so I bet it's all good.

• 2 weeks later...