Nut glue

If CA sounds too scary, you can try this : Drill two small shallow holes in the bottom of the nut, put a drop of yellow wood glue on the holes, place nut in position. Then when the glue dries, it should bond to the neck wood, and form little "pins" into those drilled holes.

It's an idea, I've never actually did it.

though intelligent the idea, i don't know anyone skilled enough with a drill to bore into something as thin as a nut and not do severe damage.

I've used CA on bone, plastic and GraphTec nuts, but never with brass - there's no reason why it shouldn't work. After all, it's only a tack bond, and you want to be able to remove it when it's necessary. I do know that CA sticks to brass - and it's no fun scraping it off brass air fittings when you spill it on them. :D

Just to clarify, when i say two small drops of CA, i mean each would be a quarter of a drop.

The idea of drilling holes in the bottom is a good one. Some nuts come with two holes pre drilled.

I have also used a wet coat of lacquer in the channel to hold the nut.

I would have no hesitation in using wood glue at all, just my CA is setup in various thicknesses, at all times, right in front of me while im working.