Original's 2016

@Original

I took a closer look, that doesn't look to terribly hard! I think the biggest obstacle I have to over come is doing my scarf joints in the neck, with doing them in the headstock like I have been I can plane out any slight gap I have at the ends when I thickness my headstock but with having that same gap in the neck I would pretty much be screwed. I need to just designate a weekend and do nothing but scarf joints over and over again to try and get them down right. 

1 hour ago, 2.5itim said:

@Original

I took a closer look, that doesn't look to terribly hard! I think the biggest obstacle I have to over come is doing my scarf joints in the neck, with doing them in the headstock like I have been I can plane out any slight gap I have at the ends when I thickness my headstock but with having that same gap in the neck I would pretty much be screwed. I need to just designate a weekend and do nothing but scarf joints over and over again to try and get them down right. 

Yup - that's my problem.  I know I need to make a proper jig, but my Achilles heel is getting the mating surfaces flat in the first place! 

2 hours ago, 2.5itim said:

@Original

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Yup - that's my problem.  I know I need to make a proper jig, but my Achilles heel is getting the mating surfaces flat in the first place! 

I cut the mating surfaces with a router. Here's a simple way to jig it up...

scarf jig.jpg

scarf jig 02.jpg

Edited by Original
pictures
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Original said:

I cut the mating surfaces with a router. Here's a simple way to jig it up...

scarf jig.jpg

scarf jig 02.jpg

I have made a jig that looks a lot like that but I think my problem is in my clamping. That's the only thing I can think of, my mating surfaces are just about perfect but the ends are always slightly crooked. 

image.jpeg

It might be twisting at the very end or the weight of the router deflecting the rails? I'd never glue straight off the router in this case, I'd take a sanding block to it and confirm that both surfaces are perfect. Realistically, only one is a glueing surface anyway so you can likely get away with that misalignment.

• Like 1

Somehow, the responsibilities of modern life put themselves ahead of guitar building for a few days. Anyhow I got back at it. The final coat has been sprayed, and wet sanded to 2500, and I spent some time polishing the plastic parts. The hardware has all been pre-fit. My parts are present and accounted for except the knobs.

The list is getting small.

covers and rings.jpg

wetsand.jpg

@Original would you mind going over this finish with me a little bit? I'm kind of a slow learner when it comes to finishing, I'm ok at the things that I do know but when it comes to learning new thing regarding finishing it takes me a little bit. 

This is pretty much what I want to do with the mahogany back of the double cut carve top I'm doing.

Could you go in depth about how you mixed the filler for this, in regards to color? 

Is it just a alcohol based black paint for the color coat or is it a dye?

what steps do you take in doing it, grain filler, sand filler, color coat, clear? 

Could you use nitro lacquer for the clear instead of schellac? 

image.jpeg

19 hours ago, 2.5itim said:

@Original would you mind going over this finish with me a little bit? I'm kind of a slow learner when it comes to finishing, I'm ok at the things that I do know but when it comes to learning new thing regarding finishing it takes me a little bit. 

This is pretty much what I want to do with the mahogany back of the double cut carve top I'm doing.

Could you go in depth about how you mixed the filler for this, in regards to color? 

Is it just a alcohol based black paint for the color coat or is it a dye?

what steps do you take in doing it, grain filler, sand filler, color coat, clear? 

Could you use nitro lacquer for the clear instead of schellac? 

I described the process earlier, but maybe I can clear this up for you: The color coat goes on first. It has to be oil based, or lacquer. Something that's not water soluble. - The filler is white, I thin it with water (blending it thoroughly) until it has a consistency that I can spread, and push into the pores. - There is no sanding of the filler. I use a damp rag to pull it back to the effect I want. - After you seal with the shellac, the clear top coat can be anything you want to use.

The seven string made progress last night. It's almost there. I wish the knobs would arrive.

multi 44.jpg

So far this year, I've finished three guitars, and the list of unfinished projects is almost gone. Here's what I have coming up next.

The double cut was being built at the same time as the seven string, and served as a crash dummy. The finish has been sprayed, and it's ready for wet sanding. I have all of the parts to complete it except for the pickup covers that I'll probably make this weekend. When I do, because of a lot of interest, I'll take a bunch of pictures, and do a more comprehensive description of the process.

Last summer when I was laid up, I sold a Squier 51 that I had for quite a while. I miss the guitar, so I'm going to make my own to replace it. The solid Rosewood neck blank, and Swamp Ash Body will be a good start. I haven't built a "bolt on" in ten years!

My Son in law is a bassist. I'm going to do a four string multi scale with a carved walnut top that I'll bookmatch from this 8/4 billet. It'll have a one piece maple neck 34/33 scale lengths, and chambered maple body. I'm still designing, but I'll be working on it soon.

I had to make a neck tenon jig for a single cut Special that I'm helping a friend build. I had never done one of these joints before, The templates worked great, and the neck fits the body perfectly.

standard 1.jpg

fiftyone.jpg

gunnar 01.jpg

tenon 1.jpg

tenon 2.jpg

tenon 3.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Carl, I've always felt that my results were better when I spent the time to make a proper template. Anything that is done "freehand" is time consuming, and not as accurate. Usually, I'll engineer my own solution like I did for this one. I've made hundreds of various jigs, and templates over the years, and can most of the time pretty quickly come up with a workable solution for the task. I've only been making guitars for a few years, but I've been using these tools my entire life. Sometimes my methods might seem odd, but I'm not afraid to try anything. 

I like working with this Honduran. It really machines nicely, but yeah "that sawdust".

• 1 month later...

I'm still here! A few weeks ago, my desktop computer went the way of the dodo bird. I don't really like cyberwebbing on my phone, or tablet when it involves a lot of keystrokes, but I've cobbled together a new computer that seems to be working pretty good. Stay tuned, I'll upload a few pictures to show what I've been up to...

• Like 3