My first full build from scratch

birch

Lots of progress on the guitar this week. Made and fretted a new maple fretboard. Clearcoated with poly varnish and sanded the whole guitar smooth. Now I have to wait for the glue to dry on the fretboard... I hate waiting...

Lots of clamps on this one.

Also, cherry picking day :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here is the mostly finished product. I haven't set it up or tested the electronics yet and it has some wicked string buzz. I'm also going to change the pickup ring to a simpler design and maybe out of maple instead of Ebony. The knobs are just temporary as well, still not sure what to go with there. Overall I'm pretty happy with my first guitar.

A big thank you to everyone on this site for the direct help as well as the inspiration and problem solving on so many threads for answering questions I didn't know I had yet. 

Now for #2.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

I tell you - that's top drawer stuff.  If you keep up like this, you're going to be one to watch for the future!  

Please do tell me ahead of any months you enter the Build of the Month compo and I'll make sure that mine 'just isn't quite ready yet...' :D

• Like 1

Yeah, getting any first build past the finishing line is an achievement. I know that I didn't. That and Mike picked up a whole lot from the process of this one too. All that remains is to see what he does with that newfound ability. Good or evil? Right or wrong? Let's see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Prostheta said:

Yeah, getting any first build past the finishing line is an achievement. I know that I didn't. That and Mike picked up a whole lot from the process of this one too. All that remains is to see what he does with that newfound ability. Good or evil? Right or wrong? Let's see.

No, definitely the work of the dark side...         Damn, I'm bewitched!  I want that guitar......I NEED that guitar!!!   It's calling to me.  

QUICK - SOMEONE TIE ME TO A MAST!!!!!!!!

:hyper

• Like 1

Wow, high praise from accomplished builders. I'm truly grateful for the compliments. Thank you.

I'm sorry @Andyjr1515 but this one is never leaving my possession :)

I have the next one simmering in my grey matter already. I love this stuff.

And to paraphrase the classic movie "Spaceballs", "Evil will always triumph over good because good is dumb"

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

GOTM her! Couple of days left I think.

This is where the sickness really takes a hold. If you need help with banishing that buzz....

It appears to be closed for the month. I'll try next month maybe, after I change a couple minor details :)

This is not me playing, this is my good friend James making my guitar sound like a million dollars. He did it with a defective volume pot that caused the signal to cut in and out randomly. It was also recorded on my iPhone mic.

Edited by birch
  • Like 2