SG Guitar Kit Build Video Series

M3521

@M3521 funny, I could hear your voice when I read your question. To me that tells that your videos have got some serious amount of personality included. If voice over isn't your source of income yet, it definitely is an alternative should you ever need a new job!

And yes, auto paint suppliers seem to really know their stuff, both by finding the right colour and knowing the compatibility for primers, paints and clearcoats.

• Haha 1

It should be possible to ask a reputable auto paint supplier to mix a spraycan for you based on a car manufacturer's paint code, so if you have a particular colour in mind that can be an easy way into the spraying process. Although IME the cans they provide are usually only good for about half the contents of the can due to the mixing/pressurising process they employ, so factor in a couple of spray cans into the budget.  A clearcoat is also recommended for added durability and to provide the ability to do a full polish if that look is important to you. Again, the autobody outlet should be able to provide some guidance on what clears are compatible with the coloured paint they offer.

Oh, apologies for only having skim read your post....I was on the mobile and sort of attention poor. $150 dollars for the paint from an auto store sounds on the high side, however I have no experience of prices in the US. To do a bass body, I bought two cans of colour with lacquer mix at €24 a pop and two cans of a 2k lacquer at a similar price. So that's about a hundred Euros, so yes, I can see how it might end up being like that.

Finishing is one of those things that you get out of as much as you put in, like more things in fact. A poor finish will bug you every time you look at it, and cheap products/shortcuts often leave you back at square one plus a poor finish that needs removing before repaint.

Damn, I'm really scatty this morning. Not Butterscotch. Gibson "TV Yellow".

This is a difficult one to do, especially since the original was a multi-stage process. Gibson don't do it that way any more either, so I would say that the best bet is to leaf through the PPG or DuPont chips and compare to photos. There's a lot of fine differences, so go with which one works best in your mind. You won't be wrong, let's put it that way.

PPG "Butterscotch Bliss" is a contender that I would consider for a TV Yellow finish. Entirely a personal choice of course. YMMV

https://www.ppgpaints.com/color/color-families/yellows/butterscotch-bliss

What I'm hearing is, suck it up and go to the auto paint shop. 🙂

If I go this route I may end up buying a spray gun and practicing on some doors I need painted before jumping in here.

This is why there is so much time between my videos! Education and scope creep!

• Like 1

Pretty much! It's hard to recommend that you do the thing that you don't want to do. I think you've managed to luck out on project creep central here. Tangents develop themselves into nicely packaged monomanias, then before long you're wondering why you keep getting microcontrollers, LiPo packs, precision ground hard chrome rail and linear bearings in the mail several times a week.

2 hours ago, RonMay said:

Very nicely done. Your attention to detail is going to make you a great guitar maker.

Have you ever given some thought to beveling the head stock to match the look of the beveled body? I think that would look super custom and cool. Just a thought.

Well done @M3521 .

I did think about it, but if I beveled then the tuning peg fixtures would overhang the bevel. It would be a cool look if it didn't though!

• Like 1