Round 2 - another 7

thanks Andy.

had a cleanup in the dust hole before leaving. And did a quick bit of sharpening. All planes now actually plane..... This is something I really want to get down as its so satisfying taking a blunt chisel and polishing up. I know sad.

By the tine I get back I should have tuners in hand unless customs have the week off. Went with non locking open gear hipshots, so of course as mostly seems to be the case, quite hard to find in the uk. Looking forward to it already.

WP_20160724_14_58_16_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

back in the room.....

having thought about the finish on the neck I'm going to stop at an oiled finish. All my favourite guitars have oiled finishes and for me, the flame stands out enough as is.

With that decision made, I masked up, masked up, set the dehumidifier to stun and emptied a couple of rattle cans of satin nitro lacquer on it. Couple of runs along the way, but nothing catastrophic. Halfway through I Noticed a couple of facets on a couple of the curves. I booked in more care and attention for the next one, but overall I'm quite pleased with the overall shape.

WP_20160730_11_43_22_Pro.jpg

While the lacquer on this one is drying I've been making a bit of dust in preparation for the next build. Limba body, flame ash top, non wonky 7.

The limba didn't look too promising raw, but after planning and initial thicknessing looks quite nice - we seem to have a bit of curl in there. Id appreciate opinions on what side should show to the world. I'm thinking number 1, but number 2 has more symmetry.

WP_20160731_13_42_36_Pro.jpg

WP_20160731_13_42_59_Pro.jpg

Matt's, where no one knows your name:D

Well I'm putting the new wood in town aside for a moment as joy of joys, tuners have arrived - although any advantage of buying from the us has been wiped out by exchange rates and customs. It always amuses that the postie only ever comes before 14:00 when they want me to give then money.

Todays job then was to gingerly drill some holes, and get the stain out again. Also got a couple of coats of oil on.

WP_20160803_12_43_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20160803_13_44_49_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

when things move they seem to move quite quickly huh? This thing is almost starting to look guitar like.

First job of the morning was to level out the clear. Started with what I guess was about 600 grit and worked through to an auto scratch remover I bought for doing my cars bonnet. Nope I haven't done the bonnet yet.

Once that was done and a long mug of tea downed the frets were leveled and crowned after getting the neck dead straight. 400 grit on a beam to level, file for the crowning (I think i need to try one of those fancy crowning files) and back to working through the grits to wire wool to remove the file marks.

Another break for tea and conductive paint for the cavity liberally brushed on and sone hardware fitted.

To do- nut (dreading) and soldering (looking forward).

WP_20160804_14_16_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20160804_14_17_40_Pro.jpg

• Like 2

It certainly is, and about time too.

So I strung this thing up this morning. and set about cutting the nut. A couple of things 1) very impressed with the tuners and not even too fussed about changing the buttons 2) how'd a nitwit like me manage to get the tuners place for a near enough straight string pull?

I need to take the slots abit deeper, but I'm leaving that for later together with rounding sharp edges.

WP_20160805_11_11_09_Pro_zps1owzyvwp.jpg

I also broke out the soldering iron, but first I had to sift through this lot for something useable. Went for a 0.02uf - shame to use one of my ero's in this, but I'll be damned if I'm spending an hour sifting through.

WP_20160805_12_50_12_Pro_zpsx56geqzj.jpg

Roughly tacked pickups in place - bit of a mess, but I'll tidy up later. The shrink wrap fiend in me is crying out right now

WP_20160805_13_47_56_Pro_zpsxqm6jdmu.jpg

This is pretty much it. Gingerly brought up to pitch without issue. Action currently at around 1.7mm @ 24th with a hint of relief - no massive issues. PIckups not what I was expecting, but then my main amp is currently set up for strats and I didn't fiddle too much. Further investigation needed. Couple of slightly high frets, but that can be taken care of. I'm leaving in a corner and will be listening for creaking noises.......

WP_20160805_14_21_31_Pro_zpsau9jabre.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 103801061982 said:

Roughly tacked pickups in place - bit of a mess, but I'll tidy up later.

I'm looking at the picture before reading you comments and thinking what a nice neat wiring job that is!<_<

The finishing fiend in me is itching to but a little burst in that blue, but pay no attention to him. That is a very nice faded bluejeans look you've got going there.

SR

• Like 1

I'm sure that you know this already, however it helps validation and any troubleshooting. I find that going overboard with organisation means you end up double-checking as a matter of course rather than banging things in place and fixing it in the mix.

But man....those doubled-up solder tags are just right on the money. You don't get more amp zen than that.

i was halfway through this one at this point judging by the state of the heaters. If I'm looking at the same resistor then yeah, its soldered onto the tag and providing the reference for one of the biasing ports. One port for each tube, overkill maybe considering there's only one pot for the quad.

this amp does sound nice. There's a lot of voodoo bandied about regarding overdrive specials, but I do like the cleans and overdrive, less so much the higher gain tones but you can't have it all.