Yay or Nay: Abstract Flowers Vine Inlay

So I've gone through the work to do the inlay, so I'm obviously inclined to use it. But the question is, is it too weird? I like it, but I can see how it might just be too on the edge as well.

I've included the mockup in Rhino so that you can see how the engraving will impact the piece.

For context it is going on a J-bass electronic'd Model2 (offset body) with a one-piece splotchy quilted maple top and a mahogany body.

DSC_0479_zpspn1tpkvi.jpg

Picasso%20Flower%20Mini%20Mockup_zps2zw4

Thoughts?

Chris

I personally think the inlay is cool as hell, very artsy....is that your design?

Silly question now that I think of it, all of your work have that sort of creativity, with a pop art- art deco flavor to it. The body shape goes nicely with the inlay design, but will need some color tie-ins to make it sing. Which I expect is already part of the plan.

I look forward to seeing the finished product.

SR

Thanks guys! The response both here and on Instagram has been really positive so I will move forward with it.

The last flower I designed. That was then handed off to a local artist to use as the basis for the rest. This is the 'half vine' version. I'll attach the full version below.

For color tie in I've got two thoughts. Either a light green to match the leaves (and I've never done a green dye guitar!) or a red/yellow/orange burst thing to match the amboyna burl headstock the mahogany neck has.

Thanks Scott. I totally see my style similarly. It took a long time, but I really feel I've finally cemented it in the last 2-3 years.

Chris

image.png

• Like 1

Reminds me of this mockup that I did way back when I was first learning, Chris! I think that'll look spectacular. The reason it reminded me of my mockup is that I had to put a lot of time and effort into making the wavy bits less tight an zig-zaggy. They easily look like tightly-constrained Beziers. Perhaps pull some nodes around and give it more 3D movement "around".

zebranolp_3.jpg