Round 3 - correcting past mistakes

That's pretty much what I've looking Scott at but wasn't sure if 1000 grit was course enough. Suppose the trick to sharpening is little and often. Think I may try it out.

This morning I drilled holes for the bridges - I'm using hipshot solo's again. Pretty simple, though I did spend a while working out what scale lengths I'd used. After that sanding and a coat of oil more than anything else to help me find the bits that need a bit more attention. There were a few bits of glue around the neck joint that needed to be scraped back, but I think I caught them all. The lights going and I can't been 100% I'm seeing things clearly. Turns out the neck on this is a bit flamed - nice, and unexpected. I'm starting to be a big fan of oiled Limba.

WP_20161012_17_36_44_Pro.jpg

3 hours ago, 103801061982 said:

That's pretty much what I've looking Scott at but wasn't sure if 1000 grit was course enough. Suppose the trick to sharpening is little and often. Think I may try it out.

As long as you keep it wet 1000 cuts pretty fast. You are correct in that you do not want to let them get extremely dull between sharpenings. I usually feel it's time to touch up the edge when I notice the blade getting more difficult to push through the wood. I verify by seeing if it will still shave an arm hair. 

SR

Whetstone ordered and SWMBO advised that I may start shaving my arms.

Did a bit of finishing work today. I guess this is where the whole diy thing is most telling. A few coats of oil topped with a couple of coats of some shellac bought premixed from our local Q&B (buckets for all occasions). Next time I fully intend on buying flakes and mixing my own.

I did shellac the top as well, but didn't like it so that's been stripped and is being oiled. Of course I also had to strip the ash parts of the headstock too as it did look plain weird. This'll sit overnight and in the morning I'll take a peek and give it a light once over with something, wire wool I guess. Anyway here's where I'm at the close of play today.

WP_20161013_15_19_40_Pro.jpg

WP_20161013_15_27_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20161013_13_42_33_Pro.jpg

Hello gents

I've had a thick head over the last few days so not much build time. I got up today with the intent of cracking on, but after dropping pretty much a full set of sprockets on the top, I've walked away. some days the hands just don't obey the head.

Since I last posted I've almost totally reshaped the top, doesn't look much different, but the coat of oil I put on nicely pointed out all the carving faux pas. I'm very much more happy with it now. After reshaping I sanded to 800 grit and applied a few coats of oil. Cuts into the top have been painted black as I wasn't happy with the gunk that had accumulated in them. I'm calling the body top just about done bar a bit more buffing.

I'm quite surprised at how much figure is in this top.

WP_20161019_10_28_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20161019_10_29_03_Pro.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Andy.

Haven't had much time to fiddle with this over the last couple of weeks.

I sprayed a few coats of lacquer from rattle cans - high gloss. not sure if I like it and may try to knock it back to a satiny finish with some wire wool or something. Jury is definitely still out on that one.

Did the first string up today and cut the nut. I've still got to get the scratches out, but thankfully it strung up with few surprises - though I did total my 10 nut file and almost my thumb in the process. The low b is not true to that edge of the neck, but its not out by a huge amount. Acoustically it sounds promising. I'm going to have a look at the intonation after a cuppa.

WP_20161110_11_05_32_Pro.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks gents

Works kind of stalled on this for a couple of reasons.

Im waiting on some threaded inserts so that I can direct mount the pickups without using wood screws. I hate waiting.

Im also having too much fun playing around with this thing, Its going to take a bit of will power to destring and do all the little bits and bobs that really need doing. For now though its been a bit of fun seeing how stupidly this thing can be set up. Its currently really stupidly set up and suprisingly buzz free :D. This one feels like a well worn guitar - I think because I rounded the edges of the board post fretwork so they are ever so slightly scalloped. Definately something I'll do on the next one.